|Stoke-on-Trent Local History|
Index page for Potteries, Newcastle and District Directory - 1907
Newcastle and District Directory - 1907
Burslem - historical sketch
back to Burslem index
Burslem - Public Institutions - 1907
| Magistrates for the Borough | COUNTY COURT | Burslem Corporation |
| LIST OF PAST MAYORS | Members of the Borough Council | Corporation Officials | Committees for 1906-7 |
| Police Department | Fire Brigade | Baths | Cemetery | Electricity & Gasworks | Markets | Recreation Ground |
| Wolstanton and Burslem Union | Co-operative Societies |
| Church of England | Roman Catholic | Free Churches |
| PHILANTHROPIC SOCIETIES | EDUCATION | Libraries, Newsrooms and Art Galleries |
| Masonic and Friendly Societies | MILITARY ORGANISATIONS | PUBLIC HALLS AND THEATRES | CLUBS |
| RAILWAY CARRIERS | CANAL CARRIERS | POSTAL INFORMATION |
Magistrates for the Borough
(Separate of the Peace granted December 3rd, 1900)
Clerk to the Magistrates.—Arthur Ellis.
Petty Sessions are held every week day at
the Town Hall at 10 30 a.m.
Date of Incorporation:
27th June 1878.
Number of Voters on
Members of the Borough Council
Mayor: Samuel Gibson, Esq
The Council Meetings are held on the Monday
after the first Wednesday in each month at 5 p.m.; Quarterly Meetings on the Monday after the first Wednesday in February, May,
and September, at the same hour, and 9th November at 12 noon.
Charged on General District
Rate.— Original loans, £157,541; amount owing, £77,755
Committees for 1906-7
General Purposes, consisting of the whole of the members of the Council.
Markets, Town Hall, and Baths.
Public Libraries and Museum.—
Burgesses' Auditors.— Messrs. George Brind- ley and John Kent.
Mayor's Auditor.— Councillor Thos. Mitchell.
OF THE BURSLEM EXHIBITION ENDOWMENT
Co-optative.— J. Wilcox
Edge and G.W. Garlick.
Chairman, Mr. T. F. Wood.
Capital, December 31st. 1906, invested in India £3 per cent.
Aldermen W. W. Dobson and J. Wilcox Edge, E. Edwards, Esq., M.P., Edmund Leigh, Esq.
Corporation Fire Brigade
The following appliances are kept at the Central Station:—
One steam fire engine, one hose tender, one fire escape, one hose reel, one hose cart and hand chemicals.
These baths are situated in Moorland-road,
and contain:—Swimming, private, Russian, vapour, plunge, shampooing room., hot rooms, and Turkish baths.
The Corporation Cemetery is situated in High-lane, and is open to the public daily from sunrise to sunset.
Times of Burial.—Consecrated side, 3 p.m.; unconsecrated side, 3 30 p.m.; Roman Catholic, 3 30 p.m.
Notice of an intended interment must be delivered (on the form provided) between the hours of 10 in the forenoon and 4 in the
afternoon, at the Registrar's office, at least two clear days previous to any interment in a
If the interment is to take place in a vault or brick grave, then three days' clear notice, exclusive of Sunday, must be given. Notice and applications respecting burials will not be received on Sundays.
(By authority obtained in 1898.)
The price charged for current is as follows:— 7d. and 2d. per unit for maximum demand, or 5d. (flat).
The generating station is situated in Scotia road, and the output for the last year end was 157,732 units.
Electrical Engineer. — Ashton Bremner, A.M.I.E.E.
Established by the Burslem and Tunstall Gas Company in 1837, and was purchased by the Burslem Corporation in 1876, for £80,000.
Gas Engineer, Manager, and Secretary.— Edward Jones. Offices.—Longport.
The St. John's Market is situated in Market-place, and is open for the sale of fruit and vegetables, provisions, confectionery, and miscellaneous goods generally, on Saturdays, from 6 30 a.m. to 10 30 p.m.
The Butchers' Shambles are situated also in Market-place, and are open for the sale of meat, Mondays, 8 a.m.to 9 p.m.; Saturdays, 8 a.m. to 10 30 p.m.
Markets Superintendent.—E. C. King. Office.—Butchers' Shambles.
Burslem Borough Park is situated in Moorland-road, and bounded on the north by Hamil-road and on the east by Park-road. The total area is 20 acres, and it possesses a lake covering an area of half an acre.
It was opened in October, 1894, by the Princess Louise (Marchioness of Lorne). It is open to the public from 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. during the summer months, and from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. during the winter months.
The Grange Recreation Ground lies to the north of Grange Collieries, and on the east side of Waterloo-road, and contains an area of 7 acres.
Thre is also a Recreation Ground adjoining the Park, east of Burslem Station, the principal frontage being in Hamil-road: size, one acre; and another in Newcastle-street.
Wolstanton and Burslem Union
The parishes of Wolstanton and Burslem were by an Order and declaration of the Poor Law Commissioners for England and Wales, united for the administration of the Laws for the Relief of the Poor, from the 2nd day of April, 1838, by the name of the above Union, and comprises the parishes of Burslem, Wolstanton, Goldenhill, Kidsgrove, Newchapel, Chell, Chesterton, Silverdale, Tunstall, and Milton.
Chairman.—George K. Downing.
Parish of Burslem.—East Ward: H. G. Ball,
Parish of Chell.—East Ward: James
of Chesterton.—East Ward: John Edmund Brittain.
Parish of Goldenhill.—Rev. Granville Rowe Bailey.
Parish of Kidsgrove.—Dennis Richmond.
Parish of Milton.—John Thomas Heaton.
Parish of Newchapel.—Arthur Baddeley.
Parish of Silverdale.—East Ward: Geo.
Parish of Tunstall.—East Ward: George Baker and James Lindop.
Poor Law Inspector.—R. F. Dansey, The Sheet, Ludlow.
Workhouse Medical Officer.—W. Partington, M.B.
District Medical Officers.—
Overseers' Department.- Superintendant collector, W . Walklate; assistant collector, C. A. Tomlinson; writing clerk, J. W. Longson.
Poor Rate Collectors.—
Vaccination Officer.—H. W alklate.
Registrars of Births and Deaths.—
Registrars of Marriages.—
The Union Workhouse is situated at Chell.
Registrar's Office, Burslem, 1, Liverpool-road.
Burslem Industrial Co-operative Society, Ltd. —
Registered office, works, and warehouse, Newcastle-street.
Officers of the Society : President, Jas. Stanway; manager, H. A. Wood; secretary, Fred Hayward; bankers, Co-operative Wholesale Society, Ltd.; auditor, T. Brodrick (C.W.S.), Manchester.
Number of shareholders, 1,400; share capital, £5,400; reserve fund, £400; annual sales, £27,685.
Church of England
Bishop.—The Right Rev. the Hon. Augustus Legge, D.D.
Burslem Parish Church (St. John the Baptist) is situated in Regent-street West.
Rector, Rev. A. Williams, The Rectory. Curate, Rev. W. C. Unwin. Churchwardens, E. W. Cartlidge and S. G. Heath.
Nett value of living, £335. Sittings, 850. Seatings free.
Parish Church of the Holy Trinity, Sneyd.
—Consecrated October 14th, 1852, has a fine interior of early English design. The building has been greatly improved and enriched during the incumbency of the present Vicar, who has been the means of erecting during the past five years, seventeen stained glass windows, representing Saints from the Acts of the Apostles and the early English Church. The fine east window, representing the Ascension, was given by R. Dain, J.P., of Burslem.
The beautiful Mission Church of St. Werburga on the Hamil forms part of the parish of Sneyd. The Vicar, the Rev. Thomas Hervey Rabone, was instituted to the benefice on October 21st, 1901, and resides at Sneyd Vicarage, on the Waterloo-road.
The Vicar holds the office of Surrogate for the diocese of Lichfield, and is Hon. Acting Chaplain of the Battalion 1st Vol. Prince of Wales' North Staffordshire Regiment. Curates, Rev. G. B. Bardsley, B.A., and Rev. T. E. Johnson, Greenhead House, Sneyd, Burslem. Churchwardens, R. Dain, J.P., and W. Fowell.
Organist, Mr. W. C. Haylett, The Sytch.
Value of living, £200 gross. Patron, Crown and Bishop, alternately.
Sittings, 600 Parish Church, 260 St. Werburga's Mission.
Services— Holy Communion, 8 and 10 45; Matins and Litany, 10; Children's Service, 2 30; Service for Men, 4 to 4 30; Evensong and Sermon, 6 30; Daily Matins, 8; Evensong, 7 30; Thursdays and Saint Days, Holy Communion, 7 30.
Hymn Book used, Ancient and Modern.
The church is open for private prayer daily-
Organisations in connection with the Church —Parochial Guilds, Brotherhood of St. Andrews, Boys' and Men's Bible Classes, Girls' and Women's Bible Classes.
St. Paul's Church is situated in Church-square.
Vicar, Rev. H. H. Redgrave, M.A., The Vicarage. Curate, Rev. W. D. Jones Churchwardens, C. H. Salt and J. W, Latimer.
Net value of living, £240. Sittings, 2,000. Unappropriated seats, 600. Mission Church, Melbourne-street
Christ Church, Cobridge - The Church was built in 1840, and was enlarged, and the interior improved and completed in 1845, the accommodation being increased by removing the vestry from the chancel, and altering some of the seats at the east and west end of the building.
A tablet in the Church,, which sets forth these facts, bears the names of Edward Whieldon, Rector of Burslem ; R. H. Bentley, Incumbent; and Ralph Hales, Churchwarden.
Then came the Vicariates of the Rev. W. D. Lamb and the Rev. J. A. McMullen.
During Mr. McMullen's incumbency there were some alterations, chiefly affecting the aisles and the side windows, in which coloured glass was then inserted. Since 1893 a series of efforts have been made to improve the Church and the Church Day Schools, and during his period the organ has been re-built and remodelled, with additional stops, being converted into one of the best organs in the borough of Burslem. The new Organist is Mr. F. P. Reynolds.
The present Incumbent, the Rev. J. Wardle Alston, was preferred to the living in 1895.
The idea of the restoration of the interior was first conceived in 1897, when an offer was made by the Lichfield Church Extension Society of a grant of £50 towards such a scheme. The plans of Mr. G. Lewis Jones, Burslem, were adopted for the new chancel, which adds 18ft. to the total length of the Church. The magnificent east window has been re-erected, and a window of Early English pattern introduced on each side of the chancel.
Value of living, £295. Sittings, 350.
Services— Sundays, 8 a.m., 10 45, 3 p m. (monthly), 6 30. Daily Prayer, 8 a.m.; Wednesdays, 7 30.
Baptisms, Sunday, 4; Wednesday, 6 45.
Hymn Book used, Hymns Ancient and Modern.
Sunday and Day School Address, opposite Church.
Other organisations in connection with the Church—
St. Peter's, Cobridge —The earliest record of the Catholics in Cobridge is that they were attended by Father Bridgwood, of Hoare Cross (now Wood Lane). A barn first served the purposes of a church, on what is known as the Grange.
The Church of St. Peter's, Cobridge, was built in 1780 by Rev. J. Corns. This Church is known as the "Mother" Church of the Potteries.
Present Rector, Rev. A. M. Mulligan, M.R.
The Missions in the past served from St. Peter's, Cobridge, have been Newcastle, Stoke, Tunstall, Hanley, and Leek.
The Chuch was enlarged by Very Rev. Dean Hendren.
Place of Residence, St. Peter's Rectory, Waterloo-road, Cobridge.
Seating Accommodation, 360.
Services—Sundays, M., 8, 11; Cat. Inst., 3; Vs., 6 30; Holy Days, M. 7, 9, R.B., 7 30; Week Days, 8.
Sunday and Day Schools Addresses— C. Elementary School, Waterloo- road; Sunday School, St. Peter's, Cobridge.
St. Joseph's Catholic School-Chapel —Erected in 1898. Two-storey building, the upper storey serving as temporary Church.
Rector, Rev. J. V. Hymers, Hall-street, Burslem .
Choirmaster, Rev. J. V. Hymers, Hall-street.
Services—Sunday, Mass at 8, 9 30, and 11 am.; Sunday School, 3 p.m.; Evening Service, 6 30. Week days, Mass at 8 a.m.; Thursday, Evening Service at 7 30.
Missions— Smallthorne School-Chapel. Accommodation, 100. Service, Mass on Sundays at 9 30 a.m.
BAPTIST TABERNACLE, Liverpool-road.— Minister, Rev. A. L. Langley, F.R.H.S.
WOODALL MEMORIAL, Moorland-road, Burslem. —A Congregational cause was started in Burslem in 1820, and after several changes of abode erected a permanent building in Queen-street, which was opened on March 8th, 1838. This in turn has been replaced by a handsome building of stone and brick in a more central position. It was opened for public worship on October 18th, 1906, by Rev. P. T. Forsyth, D.D., of London.
The name of the late Mr. W. Woodall, M.P., is identified with the new building in grateful recognition of his long and faithful service in the interests of religion, of elementary and higher education, and of everything tending to the welfare of the people of the district.
The Wycliffe Hall Congregational Sunday Schools and Mission in Furlong-lane were opened on July 19th, 1885. The cost of Church and Schools is upwards of £10,000, and a new organ yet remains to be added.
Services—Sundays, 10 45 a.m. and 6 30 p.m.; Men's Meeting, 3 p.m.; Sunday School, 9 30 a.m. and 2 p.m.; Wednesday, 7 30 p.m.
Hymn Book used, Congregational Church Hymnal.
Sunday School address, Furlong-lane and Bath-street.
Other Organisations in connection with the Church—
Methodist New Connexion
BURSLEM BETHEL.—The building which stands on Waterloo-road, and took the place of Zion Chapel in 1821 (the foundation stones being laid on June 19th in that year), was opened on December 26th, 1824.
The Dr. Cooke Memorial School, at the rear, was opened in 1878, and was built at a cost of £1,550. It was the first modern school in the town. A large scheme to raise 1,000 guineas, to reduce the debt on the whole estate, has just been inaugurated.
Services—Sunday, 10 30 a.m. and 6 p.m.;
Hymn Book used, Connexional.
There is also the Zion Methodist New Connexion Chapel.
There is an organ chamber, with seats for choir, also a gallery on three sides, bringing the seating capacity up to 650. The Chapel was renovated in 1903, and a new organ introduced. Beneath the chapel are schools and classrooms accommodating 400 scholars.
The present Pastor is the
Rev. Thos. Day, Elm-street, Cobridge.
Services—10 45 a.m. and 6 p.m.
CLOWES MEMORIAL CHURCH, Church-Street, Burslem.— Erected in 1878. Institute adjoining erected in 1900, during the superintendency of Rev. J. W. Chappell.
Church will seat 750.
Services— Sunday, morning and evening, and Tuesday evening.
Hymn Book used, Primitive Methodist Hymnal.
Sunday School address. Institute, Church-street.
Other Organisations in connection with the
Other Primitive Methodist Churches are situated in Albion-street, Hamil-road, and Sneyd-street.
Barracks, Brindley-street. Officer, Captain Breeze
WESLEYAN METHODIST CHURCH, Chapel Bank, Burslem.— This Church was built in 1801, enlarged in 1816, and subsequently renovated and improved.
The Schools adjoining were built in 1850, and the Lecture Hall in 1884.
The Methodist Hymn Book is used.
Services— Sundays, 10 30 a.m. and 6 p.m.; Tuesdays, 7 30 p.m.;
There are other Wesleyan Methodist Churches at Longport, Liverpool-road, Burslem, Middleport, and Sneyd Green.
MIDDLEPORT WESLEYAN MISSION.—The present iron buildings was erected in 1899 at the corner of Newport-lane and Dimsdale-street.
It was known as Middleport Wesleyan Chapel until May, 1905, when it took its present name, under the care of a Superintendent.
It seats about 400.
Services— Sundays, Morning 10 30: Evening, 6 o'clock.
Hymn Book used, Wesleyan Mission Hymns.
Sunday School, 9 15 and 2 o'clock.
Other Organisations in connection with the Mission— Free-and-easy on Saturday evenings at 7 30.
Sunday School Union
Established 30 years. Headquarters, Market Chambers.
There are 17 schools in the Union.
British and Foreign Bible Society
Secretary, Robert Heath, Biddulph
(The Howard and Richard Howard Haywood Charity.)
Owing to litigation as to the will, the Governors only received £24,907 7s. 7d., together with accumulated interest amounting to £1,939.
Pending the erection of a permanent Hospital, a house in Waterloo-road was rented, and three trained nurses were appointed to visit patients in their homes. Two beds were placed in the Nurses' Home in 1886.
At a later date it was decided to erect the present Hospital in Moorland-road, upon which about £3,000 was originally spent.
In the year 1890, through the generosity of Matthew Dobson and his son, Warrington Dobson, new wards were added at a cost of £1,000. In 1891 James Maddock, the then Chairman, gave a donation of £500 for the erection of wards for Burnt cases, and a few years later about £400 was spent in the domestic portion of the Hospital.
The Governors are contemplating during the present year of enlarging and adding to the Hospital other buildings, at a cost of about £1,800.
Hospital built, 1887; number of beds, 31.
Burslem District Nursing Institution and Alcock Memorial Convalescent Fund
Patroness, her Grace the Duchess of
Invested Funds, £1,200, including £500 from Thomas Leicester's Trustees.
Burslem Isolation Hospital
Medical Officer, C. H. Mott, M.R.C.S. Eng., L.R.C.S. Lond.
Mayor's Charity Fund
Secretary, J. Wallbank, Borough Accountant.
Royal National Lifeboat Institution
Burslem Branch. Secretary, T. Barlow, Blake-street, Burslem.
Burslem Borough Council Education Committe,
Architects to the Board, A. R. Wood and Son.
Medical Officer, Dr. Mott.
Non Provided Schools
Description of Schools and Names of Teachers
Middleport.—Boys, E. H. Darling; Girls, Miss E. Gittins; Infants, Miss M. P, Woolrich.
Hill Top.—Boys, G. Baddeley; Girls, Miss F. M. Williams; Infants, Miss M. Payne.
North-road.—Mixed, S. Swetnam; Infants, Mrs. M. B. Maiden.
Longport.—Mixed, M. S. Pickering; Infants, Miss M. A. Anderson.
Granviile.—Mixed. W. F. Holder; Infants, Miss A. J. Bourne
Park-road.—Senior Mixed, J. Cronshaw; Junior Mixed, Miss M. Shirley.
Jackfield.—Infants, Miss E. A. Molineux.
Sneyd Green.—Mixed, A. Rigby; Infants, Miss E. Simmer.
Central.—Boys, J. S. Gowshall; Girls, Miss F. Summerhill; Infants, Miss F. Summerhill.
Non Provided Schools
Cobridge (National).—Mixed, R. F. Dogherty; Infants, Mrs. M. E. Lavender.
St. Joseph's (R.C.).—Mixed, Miss S. Mahon; Infants, Miss E. Barlow.
St. Peter's (R.C.).—Miss E. A. Murphy. Sneyd (National).—Mr. W. C. Haylett.
St. John's (National).—Boys, S. Royde; Girls, Miss A. Hancock; Infants, Miss K. Langridge.
St. Paul's (National).—Mixed, S. Crosse; Infants, Miss E. Bell.
Wedgwood Memorial Institute
At an inaugaral meeting on January 27th, 1859, a scheme was adopted for the erection of a School of Art, as a memorial of Josiah Wedgwood, and following this meeting a subscription list was opened, by which a sum of about £3,000 was obtained.
In July, 1860, the plans of J. B. Nicholls, of Wolverhampton, were adopted by the Committee, the building being properly commenced in 1863.
On October 26th of that year the Right Hon. William Ewart Gladstone at that time Chancellor of the Exchequer, laid the Foundation Stone. The Institute was opened April 21st. 1869, bv the Right Hon. Earl de Grey and Ripon- with an exhibition of Wedgwood ware and collection of oil and water colour drawings, lent for the occasion.
In 1863 the Free Libraries Act was adopted, and the Free Library was opened to the public in 1870.
Teaching and Administrative Staff
Headmaster, Stanley Thorogood, A.R.C.A.
This building is now in course of erection, and will be opened about September, 1907.
Libraries, Newsrooms and Art Galleries
Public Free Library
The Central Library forms part of the Wedgwood Institute (Brickhouse-street wing), and was opened in 1870. It contains a spacious and convenient Lending Department, together with a Reading and News Room and Reference Library. Open from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m., Thursdays 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
The News Room is supplied with all principal London and provincial papers. Open from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m., Thursdays 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
The Lending Department is open from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. daily (Thursdays 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.), and contains 12,000 volumes.
The Reference Department is supplied with
all principal magazines and works of reference, and is open from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.,
Thursdays 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Brownhills Branch Library.—Contains 300 volumes, and is open from 12 noon to 10 p.m. Librarian, Wm. Salmon.
of England Temperance Society
Burslem Temperance Society
Secretary.— Daniel Porter, 4, Dimsdale-street.
Sunday Closing Association
Secretary.— Daniel Porter, 4, Dimsdale-street.
MASONIC AND FRIENDLY SOCIETIES
St. Martin's Lodge (No. 98)
Officer, Wor. Mast. Wor. Bro. William Lowe.
Place of Meeting— Council Chambers, Town Hall, Burslem, third Thursday every month except August.
Secretary, J. Cronshaw, P.M., 24, Price-street, Burslem.
Sutherland Lodge (No. 451)
Officer, Wor. Mast. Wor. Bro. Fred Bates, Westwood, Stone
Place of Meeting— Town Hall, Burslem, third Friday in every month.
Secretary, Arthur P. Tiley, Market-place.
ANCIENT ORDER OF FORESTERS
Court Bold Robin Hood (No. 828), 1839
Officers.— C.R., J. J. Huntbatch; S.C.R., G. H. Woolley.
Treasurer, John Huntbatch.
Secretary. F. A. Barlow, Riley-street, Burslem.
Meetings held every fourth Monday in the month at Middleport Council Schools.
Court Royal Potters (B 504), 1839
Meeting Place, New Vaults, Market-place, Burslem.
Secretary, G. Ingleby, 15, York-street, Burslem.
Treasurer, J. Wade.
Court Foresters' Child (B 680), 1840
Meeting Place, Railway Inn, North-road.
Secretary, T. Mountford, 71, Gordon-street, Burslem.
Treasurer, T. Romley.
MANCHESTER UNITY OF ODDFELLOWS
St. John's Lodge
Meetings held at the Royal Hotel.
Number of members, 150.
Secretary, Richard Plimbley, Harley-street, Hanley.
Meetings held at the Royal Hotel.
Number of members, 140.
Secretary, James Davidson, 22, Elm-street, Cobridge.
INDEPENDANT ORDER OF RECHABITES
Hope of Burslem Tent No. 1,233
Number of members, 186 (males and females).
Place of Meeting, Wilkinson Assembly Rooms, Hill Top.
Secretary, Frederick Rigby, 25, Howard-street, Burslem.
ROYAL ANTEDELUVIAN ORDER OF BUFFALOES
Held at Victoria Hotel, Liverpool-road.
Secretary, Richard Lovekin, Bedford-street, Shelton.
Treasurer, E. R. Pierpoint, Victoria Hotel, Burslem.
ROYAL ORDER OF ANCIENT SHEPHERDS.
Meeting Place, Victoria Hotel, Liverpool-road.
Secretary, Samuel King, 20, York-street, Burslem.
LONGPORT SIR GARNET WOLSELEY , 1882.
Meeting Place, Council School, Longport.
Secretary, James Hickton, 33, Shirley-street, Burslem.
SONS OF TEMPERANCE.
President, Henry Whittingham.
Secretary, Joseph Bourne, 13, High-lane, Burslem.
Place of Meeting, Wesleyan School, Burslem.
President—A. Greatbatch, 186, Moorland-rd.
Secretary, A. Johnson, High-street,
DERBY MIDLAND UNITED ORDER OF ODDFELLOWS.
President, A. Walker.
Number of Members, 78.
Secretary, John Maloass, 18, Stanley-street, Burslem.
Treasurer, Mr. J. Barnard.
About 100 Members.
Secretary, Mr. Arthur Hollins, 49, Macclesfield-street, Burslem.
Commanding, Colonel W. W. Dobson.
Assembly Room or Concert Hall, 80ft. x 50ft., seated for 630, exclusive of spacious orchestra.
Terms, £1 15s. per evening, or after the rate of £9 for six consecutive evenings, including electricity up to 10 30 p.m., with 5s. additional for the fiist hour or part of an hour afterwards, and 3s. 6d. for every hour or part of an hour after that.
If taken for any object inolving the removal of the seats, or more performances than one per day, £2; 10s. for additional charges for electricity as above.
When intoxicating liquors are sold, 7s. 6d. extra for the use of room.
For bazaars after the rate of £10 10s. for six consecutive days, with extra charge for electricity as above.
Use of Bechstein Grand Piano: 10s. 6d. for one night, 5s. for each consecutive night after the first, and 30s. for a week.
No person booking the Hall will be allowed to use any other piano (travelling companies excepted).
Deposit of £1 Is. required before booking any engagement for the Assembly Room for one or two nights, and £3 3s. for more than two nights and not exceeding one week.
Further deposit required if engaged for more than one week. No deposit will be returned.
Council Chamber, £1 1s.; Court Room, 15s.; ditto, if dock not removed, 12s. 6d.; electricity per hour after 10 30 p.m., 3s.; kitchen range, fuel found, 7s. 6d.; boiler, 3s.; Committee Room, 5s.
The tenant will be required to sign an agreement, and will be held responsible for all damage, except when occurring in removal of seats or dock, and the Town Clerk may, if he thinks fit, require a deposit of £5 in addition to the usual deposit to cover possible injury to the premises.
Applications to made to the Town Clerk, Town Hall, Burslem.
Gymnasium and Drill Hall
Concert Hall, 105ft. x 64ft., seats for 1,000, will hold 1,400.
Terms for the use of the Drill Hall: For one day up to 10 30 p.m., £2 15s.; for each hour or part of an hour afterwards, 3s.; for one week (six days), £12.
Applications for the use of the Drill Hall should be made to the Borough Accountant.
The Gymnasium is open from the 1st October to the 31st March, as follows :—
The classes are subject to alterations as the Council may decide.
Season tickets, 2s. 6d.; weekly tickets, 2d. Hon.
Superintendent, Captain Russell;
CONSERVATIVE CLUB.— Wedgwood-place. President, A. H. Heath. Chairman of Committee, R. Allen. Secretary, John W. Latimer.
LIBERAL CLUB.— Market-place. Secretary, J. E. Leigh, Wolstanton. Steward, J. Johnson,
WORKING-MEN'S CLUB AND
INSTITUTE.— Furlong lane.
COBRIDGE BOWLING AND RECREATION
CLUB - Waterlo-road, Cobridge. Formed in 1900.
ST. JOHN AMBULANCE BRIGADE.
Superintendent, Acting Secretary, and
Treasurer, T. W. Boardman, Town Hall. Hon. Surgeon, Lecturer, and Examiner, Dr. J. Russell.
NORTH STAFFS. CATHOLIC ASSOCIATION.
President, Rev. A. M. Mulligan. Membership about 400. Secretary, C. W. Davenport, 6, Furnival-street.
RATEPAYERS' AND PROPERTY OWNERS ASSOCIATION.
Secretary, J. Paterson Brodie, Moorland-road.
BURSLEM AND DISTRICT HAIRDRESSERS
Headquarters, Old Crown Hotel. Secretary,. R. Skinner. Treasurer, W. B. Hand.
BURSLEM GYMNASIUM AND DRILL HALL.
Superintendent and Captain, Dr. J. Russell. Instructor and Caretaker, J. T. Gatty.
Instructress, Miss M. Warner.
BURSLEM ASSOCIATION FOR THE PROSECUTION OF FELONS.
Rhodes. Secretary, E. Griffiths, 46, Waterloo-road.
NATIONAL AMALGAMATED SHOP ASSISTANTS',
Meetings held first and third Wednesday in each month, at 8 30 p.m., at the Working-men's Club, Furlong-lane.
RAILWAY CARRIERS &c.
Railway Passenger Department
Burslem Station (N.S. Rly. Co.), Moorland- road. Stationmaster, E. W. Cartlidge.
Cobridge Station (N.S.Rly. Co.), Elder-road, Stationmaster, Robert Beattie.
Longport Station (N.S.Rly. Co.), Station-street. Stationmaster, Denton Smith.
Waterloo-road Station (N.S. Rly. Co.), Cobridge. Stationmaster. George Hulse.
Railway Goods Department
Midland Railway Goods Office, Longport. Agent, E. Hood.
London and North-Western Railway Co. Agent, E. A. Lake, Longport Station.
Great Northern Railway Co. Agent, W. Dawson, 210, Waterloo-road.
North Staffordshire Railway Co. Agents, E. J. Bagley, Longport Station, and E. W. Cartlidge, Burslem Station.
Anderton Company, Ltd., Brownhills Wharf.
Mersey, Weaver, and Ship Canal Carrying Co., Ltd., Port Valve-street. Agent, C. W. Shirley.
Shropshire Union Railways and Canal Co., Ltd., Navigation-road.
General Post Office
Post Office Reguations
Sale of Postage Stamps, Registration of Letters and Postal Packets—Week Days, 7 a.m . to 9 p.m.; Sundays, 8 a.m. to 10 a.m .
Money Order, Savings Bank, Annuity and Insurance Business, Issue of Licenses—Week Days, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.; Sundays, no business.
Outward mail on Week Days
Sundays Collection, 9 p.m.; Sundays Delivery, 7 a.m.
There are Branch Offices at *Cobridge,
Dalehall, Hamil-road, *Longport, Middleport, Park Estate, Porthill, and Waterloo-road.