|Stoke-on-Trent Local History|
Index page for Potteries, Newcastle and District Directory - 1907
Newcastle and District Directory - 1907
Tunstall - historical sketch
back to Tunstall index
Tunstall - Public Institutions - 1907
| Potteries Stipendiary Magistrate | COUNTY COURT | County Council Representatives | Tunstall Urban District Council |
| LIST OF CHIEF BAILIFFS | List of Chairman of the Council | Council Officials | Committees for 1907-8 |
| Police Department | Fire Brigade | Baths | Cemetery | Gasworks | Markets | Recreation Ground |
| Wolstanton and Burslem Union | Parliamentary | Trade Organisations |
| Church of England | Roman Catholic | Wesleyan Methodist | Primitive Methodist | Various |
| PHILANTHROPIC SOCIETIES | EDUCATION | Libraries, Newsrooms and Art Galleries |
| Masonic and Friendly Societies | MILITARY ORGANISATIONS | PUBLIC HALLS | CLUBS |
| RAILWAY CARRIERS | CANAL CARRIERS | TRAMWAY CARRIERS |
| POSTAL INFORMATION |
Potteries Stipendiary Magistrate
On the 4th June, 1839, the Royal Assent was given to a Bill for the appointment of a Stipendiary Magistrate for the Staffordshire Potteries, and by Section 10 thereof the Chief Bailiff or Head Constable of the township of Tunstall was, amongst others, appointed a Commissioner for the administration of the Act; but by a further Act passed in the year 1871, the said section was repealed, and in lien thereof it was provided that the Chief Bailiff of Tunstall for the time being, and his last living predecessor in office, were amongst others to be ex-officio Commissioners to carry out the Act, subject to Section 10, which provides that any local public body may appoint from time to time one of their body to be a Commissioner in lieu of the ex-officio Commissioner referred to in the Act.
The Rate that may be levied is limited by Section 23 of the Act of 1839 to 2d. in the pound, which, by Section 27 of the Act of 1871 is to be made on the property assessable for the relief of the poor.
The Commissioners, deeming if expedient that their powers should be further defined and enlarged, promoted a Bill, which received the Royal Assent on the 6th July, 1895. By Section 4b of the Act it is provided that the Chairman and Vice-Chairman of the Council shall be Commissioners for the purposes of the Act in lieu of the Chief Bailiff and his predecessor in office, as referred to in the 1871 Act.
Stipendiary Magistrate.—Harold Wright, Aston Hall, Stone.
Petty Sessions are held by the Stipendiary Magistrate in the Town Hall every Thursday, at 10 a.m.
The Tunstall County Court Offices are situated in Piccadilly.
At the hour appointed for the sitting of the Court, the Registrar disposes of the undefended cases. Cases entered at Tunstall under the Extended Jurisdiction) are tried at Hanley.
County Council Representatives
For the purpose of representation on the County Council, Tunstall is divided in two Divisions, North and South respectively, the former comprising, in addition to the North and Goldenhill Wards of the Urban District of Tunstall, the portions of the Urban Districts of Kidsgrove and Smallthorne which were formerly in the parishes of Goldenhill and Chell respectively. The total number of electors is 4,590.
Northern Division (number of electors, 2,9771. —Representative, Arthur Cotton, Stanley-street, Tunstall.
Southern Division (number of electors, 1,613). —Representative, William Boulton, Dimsdale House, Wolstanton.
Tunstall Urban District Council
List of Chairman of the Council
The Local Government Act, 1894, provides that the Chairman, unless a woman or personally disqualified by any Act, will by virtue of his office be a Justice of the Peace for the County in which the district is situate.
Henry Smallman, chairman;
Arthur Cotton, vice-chairman.
North Ward.—G. Baker, H. Bayley, C. Cope, G. Goodwin, M. Green, A. J. Price, H. Small-man, W. Tipping, and J. Webster.
South Ward.—J. E. Brown, F. Barber, A. Cotton, E. Goodall, J. Goodwin, C. Garner, W. Hassell, J. Lowe, G. Quinn, and W. Walker.
Chell Ward.—J. Hill, N. Scott, and S. Sproston.
Goldenhill Ward.—G. R. Bailey, W. Browne, J. Ebrill, T. Heath, and S. B. Riley.
Clerk to the Council.—Arthur P. Llewellyn.
Private Assistants.—R. A. Llewellyn and G. H. Beetenson,
Surveyor.—Absalom R. Wood.
Treasurer.—A. T. Evans.
Medical Officer of Health.—W. Partington.
Sanitary, Market, Canal Boats, and Dairies Inspector.—John F. Addison.
Assistant Market Inspector.—G. Plant.
Building Inspector and Superintendent of Scavenging Department.—W. Beech.
Baths Superintendent.—A. Cook.
Fire Brigade Superintendent.—J. Pemberton, Bath Street.
Inspector of Lodging-houses and Superintendent of Recreation Ground.—J. Dodd.
Foreman, Surveyor's Department. — E. Williams.
Librarian.—Mrs. Mary Thomas.
Town Hall Keeper.—F. Birchall.
Curator, Victoria Institute. — Rowland Quinton.
Market Toll Collector.—J. Podmore.
Clock Tower Attendant.—R. Lines.
Town Crier, pro tem.—J. Bird.
Committees for 1907-8
Highways and Buildings Committee.—
Public Buildings Committee.—
Free Library Committee.—
Members of the Council: H. Smallman, G. Baker, F. Barber, A. Cotton, E. Goodall, A. J. Price, N. Scott, G R. Bailey, J. Webster, S. B. Riley, C. Game G. Goodwin, and W. Walker.
County Council - J. Adams.
Dr. Hulme's Charity Governors R. Beswick.
Trustees of Victoria Institute B. Adams. Selected members: P. J. Ryan, W C. Moulds, Mrs. W. Oulton, and Mrs. J Grosvenor.
The Steam Fire Engine, Horse, Hose, Tender, and Fire Escape are kept at the Station, forming part of the Baths Buildings, and each of the undermentioned Firemen is in possession of a key. A key is also kept at the Police Station.
The Practices of the Brigade are held on the second Wednesday in each month, at 7 p.m.
In case of fire, information should at once be given at the Tunstall Police Station (Telephone No., 519), or to the Superintendent, 10. Bath-street (Telephone 519a).
The Public Baths are situated in Bath-street and were opened on July 28th, 1890, and contain Swimming Bath (72ft. by 28ft.). and 13 Private Baths.
The Swimming Bath is open during the season from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. (week days), and from 7 a.m. to 9 a.m. (Sunday;-The Private Baths are open daily all the year round from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. On Tuesday the Baths are reserved for Ladies.
The Cemetery for the District Parish of Christ Church, Tunstall, and governed by the Tunstall Burial Board, is situated in Lyndhurst-street and is open to the public daily.
Sundays excepted as follows:—
The Registrar's Office is open from 1 p.m. to 7 p.m.. Sunday, Christmas Day, and Good Friday excepted.
Rules and Regulations
All charges and fees payable to the Burial Board, whether for interments, the purchase of exclusive right of burial, for monuments, or otherwise, must be paid to the Registrar at the time the order is given, and the receipt (if required) produced at the entrance of the Cemetery previous to the funeral entering the ground, or other works being commenced.
Thirty-six hours' previous notice at the least must be given to the Registrar previous to any Interment. If the Interment be fixed for a Monday, notice thereof must be given at or before twelve o'clock on the previous Saturday.
Three clear days' notice must be given if a Vault or Brick Grave be required. The notices are to be given on a form which is provided (gratis) by the Burial Board, on application to the Registrar.
That in cases in which less notice of intended interment is given than is required by rule 2, the following additional lees shall be charged to cover the expenses incurred thereby—
The certificate of the death of the person to be buried, or the Coroner's Certificate, when an inquest has been held, must be produced at the Registrar's Office when notice is given for Interment. The notice of Interment must contain a statement of the Christian and Surname, the calling or description and the age of the person to be buried; the date of death; the street or place and parish in which it occurred; the day and hour of the intended burial; whether in the consecrated or unconsecrated portion of the ground the situation of the Grave or Vault, -whether purchased or not purchased, and the name of the Minister intended to officiate.
The hours for the arrival of funerals namely, the time when the procession is to be at the gates of the Burial Ground, which must be punctually observed, so as to prevent as far as possible the interference of one funeral with another, will be the following:—
A charge of One Shilling will be made on all Funerals, and officiating ministers being more than ten minutes late. The Registrar to collect the amount with the other fees and return afterwards same if the Funeral is in time. The minister's fines to be deducted from the fee.
Tunstall is supplied with gas by the British Gaslight Company, Ltd., whose local office is situated in High-street. The price of gas is 2s. 6d. per 1,003 cubic feet.
The Market-place is open every day (except Sunday) from 6 a.m. from Lady Day to Michaelmas, and at 8 a.m. from Michaelmas to Lady Day, for the sale by wholesale of marketable commodities.
The Market Hall is open on Mondays from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., and on Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.. when the lights are lowered and the Market cleared within half an-hour thereafter.
The North Staffordshire Railway Company issue cheap market return tickets to Tunstall, loop and main lines, on Saturdays and Monday's, and Mondays from Kidsgrove, Halmer-end, Audley, Talke, Alsager-road, Congleton, Mow Cop, Crewe, Radway Green, Alsager, Sandbach, Lawton, Keele. and Leycett.
This Ground provides a good open space of 234 feet by 311 feet, for recreative purposes, besides giving an unopposed view when entering the town from the railway station of the Victoria Institute and Bath Buildings, to the east of which it is situated.
The Ground is open from 7 30 a.m. to 7 30 p.m. during the months of November to March inclusive, and from 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. during the months of April to October inclusive.
The Council may close the Ground for twelve days in any one year, and. subject to this stipulation, for four consecutive days on any one occasion.
The District of Tunstall having, by the Local Government Act of 1894, become a separate parish instead of part of the parish of Wolstanton as heretofore, the County Council made an order under that Act on the 21st July, 1894, allotting four Guardians to the parish, and this Order was duly confirmed by the Local Government Board on the 30th October, 1894.
Under the Order for the inclusion of Golden-hill within the District of Tunstall, Goldenhill became a separate parish entitled to one representative.
The four Guardians representing Tunstall for three years from the 15th day of April, 1907, are:
Board Room and Offices.—Price-street, Burslem.
For list of Officers of the Union, see Wolstanton official information.
Tunstall is included in the Parliamentary Borough of Newcastle-under-Lyme, and the present Member is Josiah C. Wedgwood, Barlaston Hall, Stoke-on-Trent.
Tunstall Liberal Club.— Church-street.
Tunstall Working-men's Club.—High-street.
Tunstall and District Hairdressers' Society
President, A. Gilbert; treasurer, J. Fletcher; hon. secretary, S, E. Bourne.
Ovenmen, Kilnmen, and Saggarmakers' Society.—Secretary, Pickering, King-street. Grosvenor Restaurant, Station-road.
Shop Assistants, Warehousemen, and Clerks (Amalgamated Union of) Secretary, — Kirkham, 5, Roylance-street. Grosvenor Restaurant, Station-road.
National Order of Potters.—Secretary, J. Warburton, Bank-street. Primitive Methodist Schoolrooms, Paradise-street.
Church of England
The Parish Church (Christ Church), Tunstall.—
Was built in 1832, and taken out of another Church of Wolstanton. It is a large, fine building, a handsome stone East end having been added in 1882. There is a spire, containing a peal of eight bells.
Considerable additions and improvements have been made in recent years, among which are a side chapel, a handsome stone reredos, and an excellent new organ.
Sunday School address, King-street;
Day Schools address, Lyndhurst-Street.
Missions, Lyndhurst-street Mission and Goodfellow-street Mission
In connection with this Church, a fine new Mission Church (St. Aidan) is being built at the north end of the town.
St. Mary's.—The Parish of St. Mary, Tunstall,
was formed in 1881, being taken from the Parishes of Christ Church, Tunstall, and St. Paul, Burslem.
The church was consecrated on June 14th, 1859. It is a brick building, with chancel, nave, aisles, and a lower with spire, erected by the Wood family as a memorial to the late Josiah Wedgwood, who died in 1857.
A tablet to his memory is fixed to the South wall of the chancel. The stained East window is in memory of the late Archdeacon Hodson. In 1885 a sum of over £700 was spent in painting and decorating the church, and a new oak panelled ceiling, as well as oak choir stalls, pulpit. and lectern were placed in the church.
A new vestry was also built, and wood block paving; was introduced throughout the church. The living is a vicarage, in the gift of the Bishop of Lichfield, and is of the yearly value of £280, with a house, built in 1884.
The present Vicar is the Rev. George Castriot de Renzi, M.A. (Trinity College. Cambridge), St. Mary's Vicarage, 81, Lime-street. He has held the living since 1898.
Curate, The Rev. Wm. Williams, Hinckley House, Devonport-street. Tunstall. Church- wardens, Job Gould, George Proctor. Organist and Choirmaster, Walter L. Wilks, Windmill-street, Tunstall. Verger, J. Jenks, 84, Victoria-street.
Value of Living, £280 and a house—£200 from Ecclesiastical Commissioners, £28 from endowment, £37 from fee-, and £15 from pew rents.
Sittings, 650: one half of the church is entirely free, about 100 seats in the other half of the church being rented.
Services—Sundays, 8 a.m., 9 30 a.m., 10 45 a.m., and 6 30 p.m.; Daily Matins 8 a.m.. Evensong 7 30 p.m. : Holy Communion Sundays at 8 a.m. and 9 30 a.m., Wednesdays and Holy Days at 7 a.m. The church is open for private prayer from 8 a.m. till after Evensong.
Hymn Book used, Hymns Ancient and Modern, old complete edition.
Sunday and Day Schools, St. Mary's-street. built in 1859, accommodation 595.
Missions, Ravensdale Mission, Plex-street Mission.
Other Organisations in Connection with the Church are—St. Mary's Institute, Victoria terrace; St. Mary's Workmen's Club, Victoria-terrace; Bible Class for Men at the Institute every Sunday, at 2 15, conducted by the Clergy; Bible Class for Young Womenen the Parish Room, at the Vicarage, every Sunday, at 2 30.
ST. CHAD'S MISSION CHURCH.—King William-street. Cuvate-in-charge. Rev. D. W. Marsh.
ST. MARY'S, Sun-stteet (1853).—Registered for marriages.
Priest, Rev. Patrick J. Ryan.
Services—Sundays, Holy Communion 8 a.m., Mass 9 a.m. and 11 a.m., Catechism instruction and Benediction 3 p.m., baptisms 4 p.m. devotions, sermon and Benediction at 6 30p.m. Holydays, Mass 6a.m.and 9a.m. devotions, instructions and Benediction at 7 30 p.m. Week days, Mass at 8 a.m. Thursdays, Rosary and Benediction at 7 30 p.m. First Friday in month, Mass at 6 a.m. and 8 a.m.
Societies—Apostleship of Prayer: Third Order of St. Francis; Children of Mary: Guild of St. Aloysius; Guild of the Holy Angels; Men's Association.
WESLEY-PLACE CHAPEL.—The first Wesleyan Methodist Chapel in Tunstall, built in 1788, having become too small for the increasing congregation, the present chapel was erected and opened in 1835. Its dimensions are, 63ft. by 57ft., with a large orchestra behind the pulpit, and a commodious vestry underneath. The chapel will seat 1,500 people. Its front has a fine appearance, having a portico supported by four stone pillars, and a large open space in front, enclosed with iron palisades and gates.
The residence of the superintendent minister (Rev. Albert Dickinson) lives directly opposite the chapel.
There are three ministers in the Tunstall circuit: Rev. Albert Dickinson, Wesley-place, superintendent; Rev. Geo. McNeill, Kidsgrove; and Rev. J. Birchenall Longden, Queen's avenue.
Organist and choirmaster, Mr. Carl Oliver, 18, Eastwood-place, Hanley. Caretaker, Mr. John Tait, John-street.
Sittings, 1,500, with 400 free.
Services, 10 4-5 a.m. and 6 p.m.
Hymn book used, the Methodist Hymn Book.
Sunday Schools, John-street: an extremely fine set of buildings, erected in 1900.
Other Wesleyan Methodist Chapels in Tunstall are King-street, and Cartlidge-street, Sandyford.
The original chapel was built in 1811. The present one was erected in 1860. It has seating capacity for upwards of 1,500.
The value of schools and chapel is estimated at £14,000. It has recently undergone extensive renovation at a cost of more than £3,000.
Ministers, Arthur Jackson Smith, John Cooper, and George Preece.
Organist, Mr. Geo. Baskeyfield, Well-street, Tunstall.
Choirmaster, Mr. R. A. Binnall, Basford.
Hymn book used, Primitive Methodist.
Other Primitive Methodist Chapels in Tunstall are Biddulph-road, Pittshill, and High-street, Sandyford.
Christian Meeting Room (Church of Christ), Phoenix-street.
Goodfellow-street Mission Room, Missioner, Wm. G. Keyworth.
Salvation Army — Barracks, Sneyd Green , Officer, W. T. Fenvvick.
Meetings held on Sunday afternoons in the Town Hall, at 3 p.m. President, E. Goodall; Secretary, W. J. Vernon.
Tunstall Town Nursing and Samaritan Society (Established 1890.)
President, George Wilks, J.P ., Manor House, T unstalL
Joseph Adams, Park-terrace.
Committee: Secretary, Mrs. Hindle, 123, High-street.
Nurses: Nurse Johnson and Nurse Wileman, Nurses' Home, 12, Phoenix-street
Sir Smith Child's Convalescent Fund (Founded 1892.)
Hon. Secretary, Rev. G. R. Bailey, The Vicarage, Goldenhill.
Dr. Hulme's Charity Scheme
Under this scheme, which was approved by her late Majesty Queen Victoria in Council on the 26th September, 1891, the Chief Bailiff of Tunstall for the time being is an ex-officio Governor, and the Council has the right to elect one other Governor.
With regard to the trust monies, it is provided that a yearly sum of £25 may be applied by the Governors in aid of the Tunstall Technical Schools, and that the sum of £100 (out of the accumulated income of the foundation) may be applied by the Governors for the purposes of such schools. There are certain other provisions in the scheme relating to the disposal of the remaining funds within the district of the Council or otherwise, as the Governors may decide. Representative Governor appointed by the Council for five years from 13th November, 1901,
Tunstall Urban District Council Education Committe, 1907-8.
Members of Council: H. Smallman, G. Baker, P. Barber, A. Cotton, E. Goodall, A. J. Price, N. Scott, G. R. Bailey. G. Goodwin, S. B. Riley, C. Garner, W. Walker, and J. Webster.
The following are this Authority's representatives on the Boards of Managers of the following Voluntary Schools: —
King-street National Schools: G. Goodwin and J. Goodwin. St. Mary's
National Schools: J. Adams and K Barber.
Roman Catholic Schools, Tunstall: A. Cotton and T. Ainsworth. Roman Catholic Schools, Goldenhill: A. Cotton and G. Hartshorne.
National Schools, Goldenhill: A. Cotton and S. B. Riley.
(N.) ... 492
Description of schools and names of teachers
Chell.—Boys, J. G. Richards; Girls, Miss Burton; Infants, Miss Berry.
Goldenhill.—Boys, W. C. Jones; Girls, Miss Sherwin.
Tunstall Central.—Boys, W. Wills; Girls, Miss Shuttleworth; Infants, Miss Gelson.
High-street.—Mixed, W. K. Flint; Infants, Miss Heginbotham.
Goldenhill(N.).—Boys, S. P. Brander: Girls, Miss Wooliscroft.
St. Joseph's, Goldenhill (R.C.).—Mistress, Miss McMahon.
Lyndhurst-street (N.).—Mistress, Miss Clayton.
Christ Church (N.).—Boys, W. H. Calkin; Girls, Mrs. Hassell; Infants, Miss Lee.
St. Mary's (R.C.).—Mixed, T. Kay; Infants, Miss Regan.
St. Mary's (N.).—Boys, G. Proctor; Girls, Mrs. W ood; Infants, Miss Bennett.
Tunstall and Potteries North District Technical Schools
First session held in November, 1890, and the first instruction comprises Art, Science, and General Subjects, prospectuses of which may be obtained at the Schools.
Quarters commence in September, November, February, and April, each quarter consisting of ten weeks, exclusive of holidays. The regular holidays are one week at Christmas, one week at Easter or Whitsuntide, and the months of July and August.
A register of the students attendance is kept, and can be consulted by parents, guardians, or employers.
Gold, silver, and bronze medals, book prizes, certificates, and scholarships are offered annually by the Government.
Scholarships tenable at South Kensington, with annual allowances of from £50 to £100, are open for competition among students qualifying themselves as Art or Science Teachers, or as Industrial Artists.
Princess of Wales' Scholarships, with annual allowances of £25 and £11, are open for competition by female students.
Forms of application for admission to the Classes may be obtained from the Secretary, or from the Librarian at the Free Library.
By the Education Act, 1902, considerable alterations were made with regard to the management of the Schools.
The Technical Instruction Acts were repealed, and the Urban District Council were empowered to appoint a Committee for the purpose of managing the Schools. Now that the Council have become the Education Authority for the District the management of the Technical Schools devolves upon the Education Committee appointed by the Council.
The Teaching Staff
Art School.—Headmaster, H. Foster Newey. Assistant Teachers: Thomas Batty, Arthur C. Eaton, I. J. Hammond, and J. B. Adams.
Science School.— Headmaster, Arthur Hopwood, A.R.C.Sc., A.M.I.E.E., A.I.C., City and Guilds First-class Honoursman, Prizeman, and Medallist; Double Honoursman in Inorganic and in Organic Chemistry; late National Scholar in Chemistry and Physics; Fellow of the Chemical Society, London.
Mining Lecturers (for County Council), John T. Stobbs, A. Sc., F.G.S., and H. Bridgett.
Mechanical Engineering Lecturer, Joseph Turner.
Building Trades Lecturer, Harold Tatton.
Experimental Science Instructor (for County Council), T. W. D. Gregory.
Technological School.—Electrical Engineering Instructor, Arthur Hopwood, A.R.C.Sc, A.M.I.E.E., A.I.C., City and Guilds First-class Honoursman, Prizeman, and Medallist.
Head Pottery Instructor (for County Council), J. W. Mellor, D.Sc, Associate of Owen's College, Manchester.
Assistant Pottery Instructors (for County Council): A. D. Holdcroft, Inter. B.Sc. (Lond.), and A. Richardson. Commercial Classes, Edwin Barker, F.S.Sc. (Lond.), Medallist and Honoursman; holder of Sir Isaac Pitman's Speed Certificate for 200 words per minute.
Languages, L. A. Boulnois.
Dressmaking and Millinery Classes, Miss E. Scarratt.
Cookery Classes, Miss Jane Holland (late teacher in the Training School in Domestic Economy, Chester).
Libraries, Newsrooms and Art Galleries
Public Free Library
The public Free Library was inaugurated in the Old Town Hall on October 29th, 1885,and was removed to the Victoria Institute on August 3rd, 1891.
It contains a Lending and Reading Library. The Lending Library contains some 4,065 volumes, and is open daily from 10 to 12a.m., 2 to 4p.m., and 6 to 9 p.m.. excepting Thursdays, when it is closed at 1p.m. The Reading Library contains all the leading daily and weekly newspapers and weekly and monthly magazines.
Librarian.—Mrs. Mary Thomas.
This building, the foundation-stones of which were laid on the 16th May, 1889, was erected by public subscriptions in commemeration of her Majesty's Jubilee, and comprise School of Science, Art, and Technology, and a Public Library, both of which are referred to under their respective headings.
The Institute was, by a conveyance dated the 24th March, 1891, vested in Messrs. Alfred Meakin. Thomas Gimbert Booth, Charles Pyatt, and John Nash Peake, the site having been conveyed to them under the provisions, of the, Literary and Scientific Institutions Act, 1854, and it is provided in the deed that the second floor shall be used as a School of Science, the first floor as a School of Art, and the remainder of the premises as a Free Library.
By an indenture of the 1st February, 1902, Mr. Brittain Adams was appointed a trustee in the place of the late Mr. Alfred Meakin, who died on the 16th January, 1902.
By an indenture dated the 9th September, 1905, Mr. J. Holdcroft was appointed a trustee in the place of the late Mr. John Nash Peake, who died on the 29th of April, 1905.
The existing trustees have power to appoint new trustees, and also to appoint any number of persons to act as a Committee of Management for the Schools, in conjunction with such persons as any local or other authority may have power to appoint and the Schools are at all times to be under the control and management of that Com-mittee. The trustees have power to apprpriate the buildings to other uses than the above, subject to the repayment of a grant received from the Science and Art Department.
The original deed was enrolled in the Central Office of the Supreme Court of Judicature on the 29th May, 1891.
On the 24th October, 1895, the foundation-stone of an extension of the Institute, comprising a Museum, Cookery School, Pottery Decorating Rooms, &c, erected by the Council under the powers of Sec. 4 of the Technical Instruction Act, 1889, was laid, the County Council giving a sum of £700 towards the scheme.
On the 10th March, 1897, the Council decided that the Technical Schools Committee should manage the buildings on terms specified in the resolution. On the 4th November, 1896, the Council decided to grant a rate of a halfpenny in the pound towards the expenses of the Museum Buildings, and no doubt this will be continued from year to year.
Curator, Rowland Quinton.
and Friendly Societies
Place of Meeting, Town Hall, last Wednesday in each month, at 7 p.m., except July.
Membership, about 46. W.M., Walter Lawrence Wilks, Field House, Tunstall. Secretary, Joseph H. Collis, Greengates House, Tunstall. Charity Representative, Joseph Adams, Park- terrace, Tunstall.
Order of Good Templars
Meetings held in the Primitive Methodist School, Tunstall, on Wednesdays at 7 30 p.m. L.D., J. D. Lamb, 86, King-street, Tunstall. Secretary, Joseph Mountford, Ward-street, Tunstall.
Order of Oddfellows (M.U.)
Meetings held in the Primitive Methodist Schools, Paradise-street, Tunstall, monthly on Mondays. Membership about 201
Total capital (Sick and Funeral Funds), December 31st, 1905, £2,307 18s. 9d.
Secretary, D. Parry, 7, Windmill-street, Tunstall.
Order of Rechabites
Meetings held at the Primitive Methodist Schools every fourth Monday from February 4th.
Membership about 125. Funds, £2,295. Secretary, Wm. H. Turner, Station-road, Tunstall.
Order of Foresters
Meetings held at the High Gate Inn, Tunstall.
C.R., John T. Lunt; S.C.R., Enoch Bossons.
Trustees, H. Woollam, P. Birchall, and Joseph Nixon.
Membership about 200.
Secretary, W. C. Willett, 62, Lower Williamson-street, Tunstall. Juveniles' Secretary, Samuel Colclough, 8, Well-street.
Order of Sons of Temperance
Meetings held at the Primitive Methodist Schoolrooms, Paradise-street. Secretary, A. Broad, King William-street.
Order of Oddfellows
Meetings held at the Primitive Methodist Schoolrooms, Paradise-street.
Secretary, E. Jones, Ward-street.
Barracks and Drill Hall, Bath-street.
Captain of D Company, Captain Lawrence Clive. Colour-Sergeant-Instructor, Michael Raynes.
Strength of company, 95.
The Town Hall and Public Offices were opened on the 29th October, 1885.
The Hall has an area of 80 feet by 40 feet, with spacious balconies above, and will accommodate 1,100 people, viz., body of Hall (seated with chairs), 550; promenade (standing), 250; front and side balconies seated), 500—1,100. The platform is 30 feet long, and 15 feet from front to back.
The lighting, both natural and artificial, is of the best, and the accommodation and arrangements of the building on the most approved principles.
Terms of Letting (adopted on the 11th July, 1894).—
With two ante-rooms, up to 11 p.m., £1 15s. per night; for three nights up to five nights, £1 12s. per night; for six nights, £1 10s. per night; to ratepayers for local objects, £1 10s. per night.
First hour or part of an hour after 11 p.m., 5s.; every hour or part of an hour there- after, 3s. 6d.; for removal of chairs, 10s. 6d. Court Room: With one ante-room, up to 11 p.m., 15s.
For an additional anteroom, 2s. 6d.; for every hour or part of an hour after 11 p.m., 3s. 6d. Any Other Room (except the Council Chamber) up to 11 p.m., 5s. Gas included in all above charges.
For Bazaars, Balls, or other special engagements, terms will be quoted upon application to the Clerk to the Council.
Note.—A full deposit of £1 15s. is required before booking any dates for the Assembly Room, 15s. for the Court Room, and 5s. in the case of any other room, and the Council accept no liability of contract unless this has been done.
The lessee will be held responsible for all damage (except when occurring in the removal of seats), and the Clerk to the Council may, if he thinks necessary, require a deposit of £5 or any other sum, to cover possible injury to the premises, when booking the Hall to any person.
Applications to be made to the Cleric to Council.
A Brinsmead Grand Piano, or an Ordinary Piano, can be hired upon application to the Hallkeeper.
Tunstall Liberal Club —Church-street President, J. P. Holdcroft. Secretary, Frederick Nixon. Steward, William Rushton.
Tunstall Working-men's Club — High- street. President, Rev. D. H. Briggs. Secretary, Solomon Davenport.
St. Mary's Workingmen's Social Club Victoria-terrace.
Cricket and Athletic Clubs
Tunstall Amateur Swimming Club —President, H. H. Williamson. Captain, J. Tomlinson. Joint Secretaries, Messrs. Parr and Durose.
Tunstall Cricket Club (Grounds, Brownhills).—Captain First Eleven, Hamlet Hopkins. Secretary, Percy Beech.
Tennis and Bowling Club (Tunstall Park). —Hon. Secretary, E. K. Elliott.
John Ambulance Brigade
Tunstall Division.—Army Surgeon and Lecturer, D r . Williams. Treasurer, J . W . Heap. Secretary, H . Leese.
Tunstall Ratepayers' Association
President, J . Lowe. Secretary, J . Mountford.
Benevolent Burial Society
President, Chas. Hewitt, 2, Cooper-street. Treasurer, David Reid, Cemetery House. Hon. Treasurer, J . W . Dean, Bank House. Secretary, Peter H . Bloor. John-street,
Registered offices 45, John-street, Tunstall.
Railway Passenger Department
North Staffordshire Railway Co., Tunstall Station, Station-road. Stationmaster, Charles Cratchley.
North Staffordshire Railway Co., Chatterley Station, Chatterley-road. Stationmaster, John Birch.
North Staffordshire Railway Co., Pittshill Station, Biddulph-road, Pittshill. Station- master, Edward Hopkins.
Railway Goods Department
Midland Railway Co., Goods Office, Scotia-road. Agent, E. Hood
London and North-Western Railway Co., Goods Office, Scotia-road. Agent, A . Roberts.
North Staffordshire Railway Co. Goods Agents, E . J . Bagley, Longport Station, a n d E . W. Cartlidge, Burslem Station.
Anderton Company, Ltd., Booth-street Agent, T. E. Gates.
Shropshire Union Railways and Canal Co., Ltd., Booth-street. Agent, A. Roberts.
The Potteries Electric Traction Co., Ltd., Parcels Express. Branch parcels office, High-street, Tunstall.
General Post Office
Sub-Postmistress, Miss A . Jarvis.
Office opens at 7 a.m. to 9 p.m.. Deliveries commence at 7 a.m., 11 40 a.m., 3 40 and 5 30 p.m.,Sundays 7a.m. Despatches: 910 and
10 45a.m., 1 40, 3 10, 7 10, 8 5, and 9 5p.m.. 11 40 p.m. (local delivery), Sundays 8 45 p.m.
Parcels Post.—Deliveries at 7 30 and 11 30 a.m., 3 40 and 5 30 p.m. Despatches by all mails except 9 5 p.m . No parcel received after 8 30 p.m.
Money Order and Savings Bank Office open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Telegraph Office open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m Sundays 8 to 10 a.m.
Postal Orders, 7 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Letters, Book Packets, Parcels, &c , for Registration must be presented at the counter at least 15 minutes before the letter box is cleared for the despatch of the mail by which they are to be forwarded. Parcels must be handed in at the counter.
There are Sub-Post Offices at King-street and Great Chell.