Wardle & Co






 

Location and period of operation:

Wardle & Co (Ltd)

Hanley

1871

1910*

  (See sources)

Earthenware, Parian, Majolica manufacturer at William Street and then Washington Works, Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent

  • Formerly James Wardle - company was renamed to Wardle & Co in 1871 when James died and his wife Eliza took over the business.

  • The business continued at William Street (in the mid 1950's William Street was renamed to Yates Street) and then in 1882 they moved to Washington Works in nearby Victoria Road (now named College Road).

  • In 1885 a new range of art pottery was introduced. 

  • In 1899 Eliza's son-in-law, David Jones, took over management of the factory and introduced tube-lining and slip decoration.

  • Jones died in 1908, and in 1910 the company was taken over by J A Robinson & Sons Ltd. The name changed to Wardle Art Pottery. and the business moved to the Wolf Street Works in Stoke.     


 

"William Wardle was a Staffordshire potter. His son, James, followed his father's trade and set up a pottery in Shelton in the mid-nineteenth century. The company was not particularly successful, and it was not until his death in 1871 that the business passed into the hands of his wife, Eliza, who carried on trading as Wardle & Co.

With the help of her family and friends Eliza expanded the export business that her husband had initiated and soon moved to a larger factory in Hanley. In 1885 a new range of art pottery was introduced, and the company moved into a yet higher gear. In 1899 her son-in-law, David Jones, took over management of the factory and introduced new techniques - tube-lining and slip decoration.

Jones died in 1908, and the company was taken over by J A Robinson & Sons Ltd. The name changed to Wardle Art Pottery. Wardle Art Pottery was later amalgamated with Cauldon Potteries, and finally ceased trading in 1935."

'British Ceramic Art 1870-1940' - John A. Bartlett 

 


Formerly: James Wardle 

Subsequently: Wardle Art Pottery Co Ltd

 


Wardle & Co
William Street Pottery, Hanley

Keates Directory - 1873


Wardle & Co
William Street Pottery, Hanley

Keates Directory - 1879


Wardle & Co
Washington Works, Victoria Road, Hanley
(Victoria Road was renamed to College Road in the mid 1950's)

Keates Directory - 1882

courtesy: R K Henrywood - 'Staffordshire Potters 1781-1900'



Wardle & Co.,
earthenware & majolica manufacturers,
Washington Works

from: 1907 Staffordshire Sentinel 
'Business Reference Guide to The Potteries, Newcastle & District'



1925 map showing the Washington Works on Victoria Road

Blue - Washington Works of Wardle & Co
Red - Cleveland Works of William Bennett
Green - Atlas Works of Gosling & Gatensbury 

 



unusualy piece of Wardle art pottery
- flat back with the impressed mark WARDLE ENGLAND -

picture: Nathan Butler 


 

Marks used on ware for identification:

WARDLE
("ENGLAND" added from 1891) 


click below for examples of Wardle marks and ware: 


      


1881 census details for the Wardle family:
James Wardle died in 1871 and his widow (Eliza) and son (William - named after his grandfather the founder of the business) continued the business.

Dwelling: 7 Clive St
Census Place: Stoke Upon Trent, Stafford, England

Name

Marr | Age | Sex

  Birthplace Occupation
Eliza WARDLE  W 53 F Head Burslem Majolica Manufactorer
William W. WARDLE U 21 M  Son Hanley Potter Manufactorer
Frederick C. WARDLE 14 M  Son Hanley Scholar
Ann DURBAR  U 20 F Serv Cobridge Domestic Serv



Questions/comments/contributions? email: Steve Birks