British Anchor Pottery Co Ltd






 

Location and period of operation:

British Anchor Pottery Co Ltd

Longton

1884 

1970's?

Earthenware manufacturer, Anchor Road, Longton, Stoke-on-Trent

British Anchor Pottery used Rawland & Marsellus Co for exports to America

Takeovers: 

 

Previously: J T Hudden 

 


One of the parishioners of the nearby St. James Church
outside The British Anchor Pottery works in Anchor Road

photo: 1960's   



the British Anchor Pottery at the corner of Anchor Road and Bath Street

The British Anchor Pottery is shown by the dark blue rectangle

The works of Sampson Bridgwood & Son (also called the Anchor Pottery) 
is marked by the light blue circle 

(map is combination of 1898 and 1922 maps)

 



earthenware plate by the British Anchor Pottery Company Ltd
 
the pattern was first registered by their
predecessors J T Hudden

photo: Martin Warrilow  


 

Plate in the JAPAN pattern
Plate in the JAPAN pattern

 


 

 

Marks & Initials used on ware for identification:

B A P C LTD

BRITISH ANCHOR


REGENCY [introduced 1952+] 

MONTMARTRE WARE [introduced 1954+] 

RICHMOND [introduced 1958+] 

HOSTESS TABLE WARE [introduced 1961+] 

TRIANON WARE [introduced 1961+] 

often a crown is used - associated with the name "BRITISH ANCHOR"

 



this mark shown on the oval plate above

the registration diamond dates from March 1881
and so the pattern was first registered by the
predecessors J T Hudden
 

 


 


Pattern is FLORA
LONGTON is the town where the 
pottery works was located 

courtesy: 'Staffordshire Potters 1781-1900' R K Henrywood 

 


 


mark used 1884 - 1913
["ENGLAND" added from 1891]



impressed mark "BRITISH ANCHOR"


 

BRITISH ANCHOR
POTTERY

mark used 1910 onwards


 


mark used 1945+


 


mark used 1945+
[the name of differing patterns appears with this standard mark]


 


mark used 1954+

[note the date code 12-58 for December 1958]


 


mark used 1961+

[note the date code 5-61 for May 1961]


questions/comments/contributions: email: Steve Birks