Brown & Steventon Ltd    






 

Location and period of operation:

Brown & Steventon Ltd

Burslem

1897

1923

 

Earthenware manufacturer at the Royal Pottery, Burslem, Stoke-on-Trent

  • The partners were William J. Brown, John Steventon and W. Lees. 

  • John Steventon moved from Shropshire to Stoke-on-Trent and worked at Shelton Iron & Steel. By 1890 his profession is listed as a China Decorator on the birth certificate of one of his children. In the 1901 census he is recorded as an earthenware manufacturer. 

  • c.1913 the company was incorporated as a Limited Partnership. 

  • 1923 William Brown retired from the business which became Steventon & Sons

 

Subsequently Steventon & Sons Ltd.

 


Brown and Steventon,
earthenware, toilet and 
dinner ware manufacturers,
Royal Pottery
 

from: 1907 Staffordshire Sentinel 
'Business Reference Guide to The Potteries, Newcastle & District'




Brown & Steventon, Royal Pottery, Market Place, Burslem

The Latest Novelty in Divided Vegetable Dishes

"Manufacturers of  General Earthenware in White Spiral, Plain White, and a variety of shapes and decorations. Specialities -Dinner Sets, Toilet sets, Trinket Sets, Flower Pots, Sets of Jugs, Tea Ware". 

 The Pottery Gazette & Glass Trade Review
July 1911

 


 


serving dish in the Willow pattern 

 


 


tri-section plate in a chintz style pattern 

 


 


flow blue jug in the Pansy pattern 

 


 

Marks used on ware for identification:


Royal Pottery
Brown & 
Steventon
Burslem
 

1897 - 1903 


 


Brown &  Steventon
Burslem
 

1903 - 1913 


 


Brown &  Steventon
Burslem
 
Made in England

1903 - 1913 

the registration number 414460
shows that the mark was first
registered in 1903

WILLOW is the pattern name

 



Brown &  Steventon
Limited
Burslem
 
Made in England

'Limited' or 'LTD' indicates a date
from 1913 to 1923

 

PANSY is the pattern name


Questions, comments, contributions? email: Steve Birks