Thomas & Henshall Moss
Richard Moss 


Location and period of operation:

Thomas & Henshall Moss 

Red Street



During the eighteenth century the potters of Red Street, Elijah Mayer (who perished near Ulverston) and Moss 'fabricated greater quantities of pottery than any others of the whole district'. Probably the stabilising of the cream-coloured earthenware body killed the trade in the Red Street country crockery. 

  • The Moss family were the last in Red Street to make crockery, but abandoned it about 1845 for bricks and tiles which they had been making from the eighteenth century. 

  • Thomas and Henshall Moss are listed as early as 1796 as manufacturers of earthenware, bricks and tiles. 
    Henshall Moss also kept the 'Wheat Sheaf' in Red Street. He died in 1833 at the age of 78 (Staffordshire Advertiser, 3 March 1833) and was succeeded by other persons of the same name who made bricks and farmed land in this area until 1889 or later.

  • Richard Moss made earthenware and Egyptian black at Red Street where he also kept the 'Crown Inn' in 1834. He died in 1847 aged 64 (Staffordshire Advertiser, 4 November 1847).


London Gazette
30 May 1854

notice of the sale of the freehold, copyhold and leasehold estates
of the late Mr. Richard Moss, formerly of Red Street

.... consisting of the old established earthenware manufactory, called
the Red-Street Pottery... 
Also the well known public house or inn called the Old Crown Inn


Questions, comments, contrbutions? email: Steve Birks