New Wharf Pottery Co






 

Location and period of operation:

New Wharf Pottery Co

Burslem

c.1878

1894

 (See sources)

Earthenware manufacturer at Navigation Road, Burslem, Stoke-on-Trent

  • In 1877 Thomas Wood, along with his brother William, purchased for 5075 a site in Navigation Road, which they called New Wharf Pottery, and which they had probably been tenants or since 1875. 

  • The name New Wharf was derived from the Wharf that was built on the nearby Burslem Branch of the Trent & Mersey canal at that time.

  • In 1894 the works were absorbed into the larger Wood & Son company. 

 

Subsequently: Wood & Son

on the Wood family of potters

 


Gravy Boat
New Wharf Gravy Boat

 

Flow Blue Plate
New Wharf Flow Blue Plate

 


New Wharf Jug in the WINDSOR pattern

 


Initials and marks used on ware for identification:

N W P & CO


N W P & CO
B


N W P & CO
BURSLEM


early printed mark c.1884 - 


N W P & CO
B

"TENNYSON" is the pattern name

the "B" under the initials is for BURSLEM

the pattern number 709 was first registered in 1884.
the impressed 7 / 86 may indicate July 1886

 


printed marks c.1891-94:- 

WALDORF
WALDORF - pattern name
pattern mark incorporating the Stafford Knot

 

PLYMOUTH
PLYMOUTH - pattern name
Semi Porcelain
New Wharf Pottery
ENGLAND


WINDSOR - pattern name

New Wharf Pottery
ENGLAND


New Wharf Pottery
ORIENTAL
New Wharf Pottery
ENGLAND

  c.1891-94


Questions/comments/contributions? email: Steve Birks