R H & S L Plant
Location and period of operation:
R H &
S L Plant
China manufacturer at the Tuscan Works, Longton, Stoke-on-Trent.
The business was a partnership between Richard Hammersley Plant and his brother Simon Lucas Plant.
They operated from the Tuscan Works in Forrister Street, Longton - which they purchased outright in 1914.
Became a Limited Company (R H & S L Plant Ltd.) in 1915.
Harold John Plant (Richard's son) and Frederick Sutton Plant (Simon's son) succeeded their fathers in the management of the business.
Frederick died in an accident in 1939 leaving the business in the hands of Harold who continued as manging director and then as chairman until his death in 1960.
Harold's son, Richard Plant, continued the family management of the business until 1966.
In 1966 RH & SL Plant were taken over by Wedgwood and the renamed "Royal Tuscan" - the works continued as a manufacturing unit of the Wedgwood Group - producing mostly hotel ware.
The works closed in 2006.
Formerly: R.H. Plant
[also amalgamated Plant Bros in c.1906]
1947 advert for RH & SL Plant
- click for more details -
Initials and names used on ware for identification:
RH & SL PLANT
RH & SL
the trade name
Tuscan China was
introduced in 1902 and nearly all marks from this
date incorporated the name along with the
ROYAL TUSCAN CHINA
as part of the Wedgwood Group)
click on the following for more information:-
questions/comments/contributions? email: Steve Birks