William Ridgway, Son & Co






 

Location and period of operation:

William Ridgway, Son & Co

Hanley

c.1838

April 1847

(See sources)

Manufacturer of earthenware at the Church Works, Hanley, Stoke-upon-Trent

 

  • William Ridgway took his son Edward John (James) Ridgway into business with him at the Church Works.  

  • Leonard J Abington was also a partner thus making the '& Co' of William Ridgway, Son & Co.

  • In April 1847 William Ridgway retired from the business - Edward J Ridgway and Leonard J Abington continued as Ridgway & Abington.   

 

Formerly: John & William Ridgway [1814-30] 

Concurrently: William Ridgway (&Co) [1830-54] 

Subsequently: Ridgway & Abington [1835-60] 

 

Also see: The Ridgway family of potters

 


London Gazette, April 6, 1847

 
notice of the dissolution of the partnership 
of William Ridgway, Son & Co
 

 


 


relief moulded stoneware jug dated September 1, 1840 

similar style jugs were also made by William Ridgway & Co

 


 


minature plate in one of the Humphrey's Clock patterns

Humphreys Clock is a series of views depicting scenes from Charles Dicken's stories. They are taken from the illustrations in a magazine, in which Dicken's stories were first published. 

Ridgway introduced a complete range of table and other wares in the 1840's, decorated with these scenes.




hand painted ironstone plate with guilt highlights  

 


 

Marks and Initials used on ware for identification:

 


W. R. S. & Co.

WILLIAM RIDGWAY, Son & Co. 

 



W R S & Co
Humphrey's Clock

Humphrey's Clock is the pattern name



W R S & Co
UNION

UNION is the pattern name

These printed marks were reissued at later periods by Ridgways at the Bedford Works.  
  • If the mark has the name 'Ridgways' in the plural then is is from the later 1870-1920 period. 

  • If 'ENGLAND' is included then it is after 1891. 

 



Imperial Ironstone
W R S & Co

Mark using the Royal Coat of Arms  


 


published by
W. RIDGWAY, Son & Co
HANLEY
September 1, 1840

impressed mark



W. RIDGWAY, Son & Co
HANLEY

impressed mark



The Bell works 
In 1830 the two brothers, John & William Ridgway, 
inherited the Bell Works from their uncle George.
John stayed at the Cauldon Works and William took the Bell Works.

- click picture for more -

 



The Church works 

- click picture for more -

 


Questions/comments/contributions? email: Steve Birks