Sterling Pottery Co. (Ltd)






 

Location and period of operation:

Sterling Pottery Ltd

Fenton

c.1939

1953

Earthenware manufacturer at Canning Street, Fenton, Stoke-on-Trent  

  • Established as the Sterling Pottery Co. The predecessor of Sterling Pottery Ltd.

  • The company produced low to mid-priced tea and coffee sets, general and novelty tableware and small toby character jugs.

  • Sterling Pottery became part of the Lawley Group following its purchase by Ridgway (Bedford Works) Ltd. in 1950.

Previously:  Bailey Potteries Ltd [1935-40] 

 

 

 

Marks used on ware for identification:



mark c.1947+

 


mark c.1947+


mark c.1949-53

(after 1950 with the Ridgway name added)

 


mark c.1950
mark incorporating the Stirling and Ridgway names 

 


mark c.1950

Sterling
mark in the 'Ridgway' style
but without the Ridgway name 

 

mark from 1950-3
 when the company was part of the Lawley Group
after the take over by Ridgway in 1950



tea set marked Sterling England

in the Acanthus pattern 

 


 

Sterling Pottery Toby Jug
one of the English Characters series
 

 


 


Sterling Pottery - Winking Lady teacup

 


Sterling Pottery - Winking Lady teacup

the novelty winking tea cup were produced in the early 1950's 
as  promotional items
 for the English Lipton Tea Company

 manufactured in the period c.1950-3
when the company was owned by Ridgway



Sterling Pottery - toast rack

 manufactured in the period c.1950-3
when the company was owned by Ridgway


- click the picture for
information on the
Canning Street works -


questions/comments/contributions? email: Steve Birks