Public Monuments and Sculpture in Stoke-on-Trent & Newcastle-under-Lyme
Public Monuments and Sculpture in Stoke-on-Trent & Newcastle-under-Lyme
 

|  Index of all Stoke-on-Trent art |


Heads and Emblems
at Burslem
 

Location:  Wedgwood Street, Burslem - On the fašade of the former Queen Theatre/ former Town Hall, over main entrance
Installed: 1910-11  the foundation stone was laid on 14 March 1910; building completed 1911    
Commissioned by:
 
Burslem Urban District Council
Architect: S B Russell & Edwin Cooper
Builder: Harold Arnold & Son

 

 

Description:

The extravagant fašade of this building has three entrances, above each is a simple oval cartouche with a high relief carving.

Over the left door the carving depicts an open book and a small trumpet; over the central door, a female head with long curling hair; over the right door a stringed musical instrument.

 

Background:

Originally commissioned as a town hall, the foundation stone was laid by Alderman Malkin.

It was not completed until 1911, when it became a venue for theatres, concerts and other entertainment, then known as the Queen's Hall.

In 1966 it became the permanent theatre for the North Staffordshire Amateur Operatic and Dramatic Society, and was also well known as a centre for local dance during the 1960s. 

The history of the building (with the abolition of the Council shortly after work had started on the Town Hall) helps to explain the extravagant section of the fašade, with the columns and three doors of the left wing being very different to the right wing, which is extremely plain and has its own entrance, though clearly built at the same time.

The emblems seem to point to the right side of the building's use as a theatre, while the coat of arms with crossed swords and scales seems to indicate a civic use for the left wing.
 

 

   

Materials:

 

Part of work

Material

Dimensions

Cartouches x 3

Stone, pale grey 100cm high x 70cm wide x (up to) 20cm deep approx


Postcard of Queen's Hall, (c1913)


photo: February 2001


the extravagant section of the fašade, with the columns and three doors of the left wing
above each of the three entrances  is a simple oval cartouche with a high relief carving.
photo: January 2006


the left door the carving depicts an open book and a small trumpet


over the central door, a female head with long curling hair


over the right door a stringed musical instrument

 



photo: February 2001


highly decorated oval cartouche on the left and right of the main entrance

photo: January 2006

 

|  Index of all Stoke-on-Trent art |


questions/comments/contributions? email: Steve Birks

19 January 2006