Public Monuments and Sculpture in Stoke-on-Trent & Newcastle-under-Lyme
Public Monuments and Sculpture in Stoke-on-Trent & Newcastle-under-Lyme
 

|  Index of all Stoke-on-Trent art |


Fenton coat of arms and the Baker family coat of arms 
at Fenton Town Hall
 

Location: On the fašade of the Town Hall/ Court House, Albert Street, Fenton
Unveiling: 1888/9
Architect: Robert Scrivener (& Son)
Commissioned by: William Meath Baker
 


Built in 1889 at the expense of William Meath Baker to be  part
of the new centre of Fenton.
Today the building is used as the Magistrates Court

Gothic-style building with two relief coats of arms, one on each wing.

photo: July 2000


Detail of the centre pediment

photo: Feb 2006


Detail over the left hand windows

photo: Feb 2006

 

Description:

Gothic-style building with two relief coats of arms, one on each wing.

On the right wing the arms of the Baker family have a shield charged with two goats, a spread-eagle and three pots, the crest is also a goat, the motto is 'ABS BON? VIOLENTA'.

On the left wing are the Fenton Arms, also with a goat crest, the quartered shield is charged with a Portland vase, realistic representations of the local industries, ceramics kilns, a coal mine, and agriculture, the motto is 'ONWARD AND UPWARD'.

Both reliefs have decorative surrounds with foliate motifs.

Background:

Fenton Town Hall was built by a local pottery manufacturer, William Meath Baker, in 1888. He rented the building out, at first to the local Board of Health and, in 1889, to the Urban District Council.

The council purchased the Town Hall from Mr Baker in 1897.

 


Fenton Arms

On the left wing are the Fenton Arms, also with a goat crest,
the quartered shield is charged with a Portland vase,
realistic representations of the local industries, ceramics kilns, a coal mine, and agriculture,
the motto is 'ONWARD AND UPWARD'.

photo: Feb 2006

 

Arms of the Baker family
Arms of the Baker family

On the right wing the arms have a shield charged with two goats,
a spread-eagle and three pots,
the crest is also a goat, the motto is 'ABS BONA VIOLENTA'.

photo: Feb 2006


 

Materials:

Part of work

Material

Dimensions

Coats of Arms

Sandstone 100cm high x 130cm wide x 10cm deep approx

 

|  Index of all Stoke-on-Trent art |


questions/comments/contributions? email: Steve Birks

26 February 2006