Public Monuments and Sculpture in Stoke-on-Trent & Newcastle-under-Lyme
of all Stoke-on-Trent art |
at Albert Square, Fenton
Location: Albert Square, in front of the old Town Hall , Fenton
Unveiling: Unveiled 11 November 1922
Architect: Charles F Simms
Sculptor: Messrs W & R Mellor Ltd
Commissioned by: funded by public subscription
Fenton War Memorial
Standing in Albert Square in front of the
old town hall (now used as a magistrates court)
photo: c.2000 (Peter Bennett)
On the side facing Christchurch Street the figure of a private soldier stands with reversed arms
(on plaque on front face of plinth)
(on plaque, below dates)
(on plaque on left side)
(on plaque on right side)
(on plaque on rear of plinth)
On each of the other three sides are carved laurel wreaths and festoons, under which the words
HONOUR SACRIFICE and COURAGE are incised.
On each corner of the monument are prominent supporting
diagonal buttresses with moulded base and plain caps.
In its overall composition the memorial conveys an impression of solidity and strength.
ERECTED BY VOLUNTARY SUBSCRIPTIONS
IN MEMORY OF THE FENTON MEN
WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE GREAT WAR
AND WHOSE NAMES ARE RECORDED
ON A TABLET IN THE TOWN HALL.
The old Fenton coat of arms is carved on the side of the monument
facing the Town Hall, with the motto ONWARD and UPWARD carved in raised letters.
Part of work
Ashlar stone 2.1m high x 2.3m wide
Ashlar stone 1.4m wide x 7m high
Ashlar stone Lifesize
| Index of all Stoke-on-Trent art |
questions/comments/contributions? email: Steve Birks
26 February 2006