Public Monuments and Sculpture in Stoke-on-Trent & Newcastle-under-Lyme
Public Monuments and Sculpture in Stoke-on-Trent & Newcastle-under-Lyme
 

|  Index of all Stoke-on-Trent art |


Two Coat of Arms
at Burslem
 

Location:  Queen Street, Burslem - Upper fašade of the former College of Art
Installed: 1905 - Building opened 10 October 1907
Commissioned by:
 
Burslem Urban District Council
Architect: A R Wood
Builder: W Grant & Sons

photos: Jan 2006

 

Background:

This building was constructed between 1900 and 1924 by W. Grant & Sons Builders. It is a rectangular, two storey building, six rooms rooms wide by two rooms deep.

The front shows six large window casements with a continuous decorated stone surround and a moulded stone decorated arch and stone sill.

There is an ornate stone plaque reading 'The land upon which this building was erected was given by T. Hulme Esq Mayor' and another plaque dated 9th February 1906 and opened 10/10/1907.
 

The building is now under the control of a consortiun formed by Stoke City Council, the Burslem Trust, Stoke-on-Trent college, Staffordshire University and Royal Doulton.

The building has been renovated and turned into a an arts and business centre

 

People who trained here include:

Clarice Cliff
(Ceramicist, 1899 - 1972)

Charlotte Rhead
(Ceramicist, 1885 - 1947)
Charles Tomlinson, CBE
(Major poet & painter, born 1927)

Arnold Machin, OBE, RA
(Sculptor & graphic designer, 1911 - 1999)

Peggy Davies
(Ceramicist, 1920 - 1989)
Sidney Tushingham, ARE.
(Portraitist, 1884 - 1968)

Susie Cooper
(Ceramicist, 1902 - 1995)

William Bowyer, RA
(Major artist, born 1926)
Arthur Berry
(Artist & writer, 1925-1994)
Esther Barnish Turner
(Artist)
John Cooke
(Artist)
Derek Higginson
(Artist)


Arnold Machin trained for six years at the BSA, and later returned to as Headmaster early in the Second World War.  He designed the classic 'plain' British postage stamp - 180 billion printed so far - and the 50p & other coins. He sculpted the Queen's head for both stamps & coins; and once said: "I found the Queen to have a great sense of humour".

Colin Melbourne ('The Professor') is another well-remembered Headmaster. He made a life-sized steel sculpture of a worker, during the struggle for Shelton Bar. The statue was used as the 'mascot' during the steelworkers' marches.

 

 
The front shows six large window casements with a continuous decorated stone surround and a moulded stone decorated arch and stone sill.


This plaque reads:

'The foundation stone of this building was laid by the right honourable the Earl of Dartmouth,
Lord Lieutenant of the County of Stafford.
9th February 1906.
W.W. Dobson, Mayor.
A. Ellis, Town Clerk. A.R.
Opened by S. Gibson Esq. Mayor.
October 10 1907'
 


This plaque reads:

'The land upon which this building was erected
was given by T. Hulme Esq Mayor.
JP. CC.
Mayor 1882 and 1904
W. Grant & Sons. Builders'


Flowers at the School of Art

   

Materials:

Part of work

Material

Dimensions

Coats of arms x 2

Terrcotta, buff 90cm high x 60cm wide x 6cm deep approx


The School of Art
(undergoing refurbishment) 

photo: Jan 2000


This building was constructed between 1900 and 1924 by W. Grant & Sons Builders.
It is a rectangular, two storey building, six rooms rooms wide by two rooms deep.


The School of Art

(after refurbishment) 

photo: 2002

 

|  Index of all Stoke-on-Trent art |


questions/comments/contributions? email: Steve Birks

19 January 2006