Public Monuments and Sculpture in Stoke-on-Trent & Newcastle-under-Lyme
of all Stoke-on-Trent art |
Location: Fountain Place (top of St. John's Square), Burslem
Commissioned by: Mayor James Maddock
the fountain located at the top of St. John's Square, Burslem
The old drinking fountain, Burslem
sketch by: John Creber
|A sketch of the fountain as it was in August 1984. It stood disused and dilapidated in the corner of a factory yard near the top of Newcastle Street for many years before being taken away for restoration and reinstallation at Fountain Place in 1990.|
Fountain Place (at the top of St. John's Square) was not named after this ornamental fountain donated by Mayor James Maddock c.1881 - but after the water supply provided by the potter Enoch Wood c.1798
Local government, economic history and social life',
Inscription: On the edge of one of the new steps
25th APRIL 1990 FRANCIS FITZHERBERT. THE LORD STAFFORD, FORMALLY
MARKED THE RESTORATION TO THE SITE OF THE BURSLEM DRINKING FOUNTAIN
Part of work
|Cast Iron, painted black and various other colours||450cm high approx x 170cm wide x 103cm deep|
A traditional Victorian drinking fountain surmounted with a modern re-production of a gas lamp.
Four slim pillars, with Corinthian capitals hold up a canopy which supports the lamp
Behind the fountain, to the left can be
seen the National Westminster bank.
Directly behind the fountain are some flats and apartments which originally
formed part of Enoch Wood's very large Fountain Place Pottery Works, built in 1789.
photos: Jan 2006
a postcard of St. John's Square.
Directly behind the fountain can be seen Lycett's Blinds Warehouse.
Originally this formed part of Enoch Wood's very large Fountain Place Pottery Works, built in 1789.
postcards date: around 1905
| Index of all Stoke-on-Trent art |
questions/comments/contributions? email: Steve Birks