Public Monuments and Sculpture in Stoke-on-Trent & Newcastle-under-Lyme
Public Monuments and Sculpture in Stoke-on-Trent & Newcastle-under-Lyme
 

|  Index of all Stoke-on-Trent art |


Hanley Coat of Arms
at Albion Street, Hanley
 

Location: On the fašade of the former town hall, Hanley
Architect:
Robert Scrivener & Son
Unveiling: 1869
Listing: grade II
 


Detail of crest above the town hall door.
Detail of crest above the town hall door.
1869

John Ridgway's crest of a kneeling dromedary 
was used in the Seal of the Borough of Hanley, 
and now forms part of the 
Coat of Arms of The City of Stoke-on- Trent.

 

 

Description:

The Hanley County Borough coat of arms has a shield divided into three sections.

Representing the pottery industry: the upper left section has three jugs on a background of stripes and the upper right is a cross and four bottle kilns.
The lower central section bears four stars.

The crest is a kneeling camel which is from the Crest of the Ridgway Family.

Around the shield a rope forms several Stafford Knots.

 

 

Detail of town hall entrance
Detail of town hall entrance

 

Hanley town hall - built as the Queens Hotel in 1869 
Hanley town hall - built as the Queens Hotel in 1869 

more on the Town Halls of Stoke-on-Trent

 

Materials:

Part of work

Material

Dimensions

Coat of Arms

Sandstone 60cm high x 50cm wide x 5cm deep approx

photos: Oct 1999 

 

 

|  Index of all Stoke-on-Trent art |


questions/comments/contributions? email: Steve Birks

2 July 2008