John Pepper

 

PEPPER John, ( - 1942) Garage Owner,  Stoke upon Trent. 


previous: biography of John Pepper

 

The cycle shop at 61 Piccadilly
The cycle shop at 61 Piccadilly

 

Smith Brothers (Hanley) Ltd of 61 Piccadilly were incorporated on 5th April 1897 and operated as a 'cycle manufacturer'. This business failed and was placed into the hands of the Official Receiver, from whom John Pepper purchased the business on the 7th April 1902.

The deed records that, for the sum of 45, John Pepper was assigned 'the goodwill of the business', a ten year lease on the property in Piccadilly and 'inventions and letters patent'.

The patents are recorded in the deed as:

1) Patent 15th October 1896, number 22842-1896, to William Smith 'invention for improved hubs for Bicycles, Tricycles and the like'

2) Patent 14th December 1896, number 28533-1896, to William Smith 'invention for improved handlebars and for brake levers of Bicycles and like vehicles'

3) Patent 16th December 1896, number 28783-1896, to William Smith 'invention for improved methods of fixing or securing the tube ends of bicycles (and the like vehicles) frames and their connecting lugs'

 


copy of the deed which assigned the 'goodwill' of the business and the three patents
copy of the deed which assigned the 'goodwill' 
of the business and the three patents

 

John Pepper's signature on the deed
John Pepper's signature on the deed
of Assignment for the Cycle Business
Dated: April 7th 1902

 

previous: biography of John Pepper

 

Photos of the premises in Piccadilly, Hanley
Photos of the premises in Albion Street, Hanley
Details of the Peppers Group of Garages in 1965