history of the Borough of Stoke-upon-Trent
|Formation of the Borough under the 1832 Reform Act|
Formation of the Borough under the 1832 Reform Act Source: "The Borough of Stoke-upon-Trent" John Ward, 1843
Parliamentary Union of the Towns to form the Borough
"The district, which under the Reform Act, constitutes the Borough of Stoke-upon-Trent, comprises the several Townships of Tunstall, Burslem, Hanley, Shelton, Penkhull, with Boothen, Lane End, Longton, Fenton Vivian, Fenton Culvert, Hamlet of Sneyd, and Vill of Rushton Grange, which extend into the three parishes of Wolstanton, Burslem, and Stoke-upon-Trent.
The township of Tunstall alone is in Wolstanton; the township of Burslem, the hamlet of Sneyd, and vill of Rushton Grange, are within the parish of Burslem; and the remaining townships are within the parish of Stoke-upon-Trent.The town of Stoke is the nominal head of the borough, though not the largest town….."
previous: origin of the suffix - Lyme
next: early introduction of earthenware
questions / comments / contributions? email: Steve Birks