history of the Borough of Stoke-upon-Trent
|The development of Churches in the City|
The development of Churches in the City Source: "The Borough of Stoke-upon-Trent" John Ward, 1843
"....there are in all, or most of the Pottery towns, Chapels and Schools belonging to the Baptists, the Independents, or Congregationalists, and the Christian Society, (as the congregations under the care of the Rev. Robert Aitkens, a recent seceder from the Established Church, choose to designate themselves, with somewhat singular modesty): the Quakers have also a meeting-house at Stoke; and the Unitarians, a few years since, built one at Hanley, but in raising a congregation, they did not we think, succeed. Add to these, two Roman Catholic chapels, one erected at Lane End, within the last twenty years, and one at Cobridge, of ancient date; together with all the churches and chapels of the establishment, which have lately multiplied nearly three-fold, and are still increasing; ....
previous: Methodist divisions
next: development of education in the city
number of churches in 1840
questions / comments / contributions? email: Steve Birks