history of the Borough of Stoke-upon-Trent
|The use of other clays and flints|
The use of other clays and flints Source: "The Borough of Stoke-upon-Trent" John Ward, 1843
The use of other clays and flint:
"Soon after the commencement of the 18th century, the whiter clays from Dorsetshire and Devonshire began to be used by the Staffordshire Potters, in washing or lining the insides, and ornamenting the outsides of their wares; and, about the year 1720, a considerable improvement was made, by using calcined flint-stone, at first as a wash or dip, and afterwards incorporating it with the clays.
The merit if first introducing Flint is generally attributed to Mr. William Astbury, of Shelton,* who, in his journey to London, stopping at an inn at Dunstable, notice the very soft and delicate nature of some burnt flint-stone, when mixed with water (the ostler having used the powdered flint as a remedy for a disorder in his horse's eyes); and thence conceived the idea of applying it to the purposes of his trade."
* Aikin's manchester, p. 526.
previous: use of slat glaze and the Elers brothers
next: Ralph Shaw, Aaron, Thomas and John Wedgwood
questions / comments / contributions? email: Steve Birks