history of the Borough of Stoke-upon-Trent
|Enoch Booth, Ralph Wood, Thomas Whieldon|
Enoch Booth, Ralph Wood, Thomas Whieldon Source: "The Borough of Stoke-upon-Trent" John Ward, 1843
"About the same time, Enoch Booth, of Tunstall, commenced manufacturing and improved article, called Cream-coloured Ware, which was coated with a glaze of lead ore and ground-flint; and this description of goods also obtained great favour and circulation."
"A very material improvement in flat and pressed wares was soon afterwards introduced by Ralph Daniel, of Cobridge, who, having visited the Potteries in France, brought back with him a mould of cast gypsum, being the first of the kind known in the English Potteries, and which being readily multiplied, afforded great facilities for the making of modelled articles."
"Mr. Thomas Whieldon established a Potwork at Fenton Low, and brought forth some elegant varieties called agate, cauliflower, and melon wares, compounded of native and Devonshire clays and flint; and within a period of less than forty years, acquired and independent fortune by his business; after retiring from which, he served the office of High Sheriff of Staffordshire in the year 1788.
He erected a large mansion at Little Fenton, adjoining to the town of Stoke, called Fenton Hall, now (around 1843) verging fast to decay for lack of occupation and care; and which is, probably, destined to be soon removed, to make way for the Manchester and Birmingham Railway."
previous: Ralph Shaw, Aaron, Thomas & John Wedgwood
next: William Littler, Josiah Wedgwood
on Thomas Whieldon
questions / comments / contributions? email: Steve Birks