Brickworks of Stoke-on-Trent
John Leigh & Son
photos and background information kindly supplied by Margaret Allsop
(née Leigh) the great granddaughter of John Tunstall Leigh.
Leigh brickworks was located on the site of the earlier Banktop
Colliery, in the Stanfield area of High Lane.
works are listed in the
1896 Kelly's Directory as John Leigh & Son operating
at High Lane, Burslem.
business was started by John Tunstall Leigh who was joined by his
three sons, James, Arthur and John, became partners with Henry when
they were adults.
died in 1960 and the three sons ran the brickworks until it was
sold in 1967 to Fradleys, the house builder who built houses
on the site.
Brick marked Leigh & Son
'Business Reference Guide to The Potteries, Newcastle & District'
1922 map showing the location of the John Leigh & Son Brickworks
The location marked in red was the
Acres Wood brickworks
location of the John
Leigh brickworks -
Google maps 2009
one of the beehive kilns at
brickworks photos: 1955
general view of the kilns and
output of bricks
rebuilding a tunnel
from the left, John Leigh,
Billy Sargeant, and George Roper.
Billy and George worked on the brickworks until it closed around 1967
Henry Leigh, son of John
John Leigh, Arthur Leigh, and
James Leigh (Arthurs twin)
1877 map of the High Lane area
the area is littered with collieries
and very little housing
what became the Leigh brickworks was the site of the Banktop Colliery
by 1899 a brick works was
located on the former colliery site
1922 map shows the development
of the Leigh brick works
by 1937 the Leigh brick works
had grown in size and
the Acres Wood brick works (owned
by the Wilkinsons) had been developed
the 1970 map shows the extent
of the brick works which by this time had been sold for housebuilding
comments,contributions? - email: Steve Birks