|North Stafford Hotel, Stoke| Buildings of Stoke-on-Trent|
Buildings of Stoke-on-Trent
[ Web Site Index ]
click for more on
Winton Square, Station Road
The North Stafford Hotel (originally The Railway Hotel), designed in the Elizabethan & Jacobean style by H. A. Hunt of Parliament Street, London. The hotel was constructed as an integral part of the building of Stoke Station. Under the management of Henry Shirreff the hotel rapidly became the largest and most important in North Staffordshire.
HENRY ROBERT SHIRREFF
respectfully informs the Inhabitants of the Potteries and Neighbourhood,
that he has taken over the NORTH STAFFORDSHIRE HOTEL, Railway Station.
Staffordshire Advertiser Newspaper 28 June 1851
have tried them all. The leading expensive sea-side establishments, where
you can scarcely ring the bell without paying for the privilege; the old,
almost forgotten, dingy rambling inn, that was great in coaching times;
the flaunting, gas-blazing, French-polished, bustling terminus tavern; the
small country-town, bow-windowed, old chambermaided, stone-flagged,
tobacco-odoured family and commercial hotel and posting house; and we have
found the same things to object to in most of them.
Not all. The North Staffordshire Hotel at Stoke Station is a model house for England."
Albert Smith - "The Month" July 1851
Winton Square 1928
Early motor cars park up outside the North Stafford Hotel in the early part of last century.
© The Potteries Museum and Art Gallery
Staffordshire Past Track
|1847||"The Railway Hotel" built at a cost of £8,843 to the design of H.A. Hunt.|
|Aug 1849||John Cuff (first tenant) opened for business with a loan of £3,500 from the directors of the railway company to enable him to buy furniture and fit out the hotel.|
Robert Shirreff (nephew of John Cuff), at the age of 23, took over the
tenancy of the hotel. Shireff had already been responsible for the day to
day running of the hotel as the manager.
The hotel flourished - as shown in the number of live-in servants:- 1851: 7 / 1861: 27 / 1871: 36
|early 1870's||Shirreff left to run the Palatine Hotel, Hunts Bank, Manchester|
railway company let the hotel to the Patzer family from Germany; first to
Charles Patzer and then to Frederick Patzer.
The hotel continued to flourish under their management.
|1893||Stoke station, and part of the North Stafford Hotel were first lit by electricity as early as 1893.|
|early 20th C||The Patzer family formed the "North Stafford Hotel Company" which bought the hotel from the railway company.|
|1910||The meeting-place of the council of new county borough of Stoke-on-Trent was, in 1910, a matter of some delicacy. Each of the six towns had its own town hall and the choice of one rather than another as the headquarters of the new council was complicated by feelings of local pride and sentiment. Therefore the first meeting of the council on 31 March 1910 was held at the North Stafford Hotel, Stoke, when it was decided that the council should meet at each town in turn.|
|after 1st WW||After the first World War the hotel was taken over and became part of the Trust House Forte group.|
|2007||Part of Britannia Hotels Ltd|
North Stafford Hotel
"Stoke-on-Trent possesses one of the finest gateways in the country in Winton Square; step off the train in Stoke-on-Trent and you are met with one of the finest examples of Victorian urban planning you are likely to come across, and two great landmarks in Stoke-on-Trent Railway Station and the North Stafford Hotel, both of which are Grade II* Listed."
David Proudlove - Regeneration Manager for English Partnerships
The graves of the Patzer's
- managers and later owners of the North Stafford Hotel
in the 1"st class" Church of England area of Hartshill Cemetery
"In loving Memory of
Christian Charles Frederick Robert Patzer"
the toilet facilities in a proto
art nouveau style - heavily
decorated with local-produced tiles
Victoria History of the County of Stafford, Vol VIII
Andrew Dobraszczyc notes
The Potteries Museum and Art Gallery
the North Stafford Hotel is a listed building