|Shelton Hall | Buildings of Stoke-on-Trent|
Buildings of Stoke-on-Trent
[ Web Site Index ]
Shelton Hall, a square three-storied building with a lower wing to the north.
It stood between Cemetery Road and Caledonian Road.
Opposite, at Caldon Place, stood the 'elegant, modern mansion of Mr. John Ridgway'.
see Charles and Ephraim Chatterley, potters
see Frederick Bishop
and Charles Chatterley built Shelton Hall (also known as Chatterley Hall)
Ephraim was known to be living there c.1790
deed of 1803 E.C. left a rent-charge on the Hall of £8 8s for bread for
the poor of Hanley and Shelton to be distributed on Christmas Day and Good
Later it was paid to the North Staffordshire Deaf and Dumb Society.
|1811||E.C. died 7th May 1811.|
|Mary Ann Chatterley (Ephraim's daughter) inherited the estate. She was married William Bishop, an attorney. They moved into Shelton Hall.|
|1815||On 15th December 1815, Frederick Bishop was born to William and Mary Ann Bishop.|
|1832||E.C.'s widow Mary Ann died in 1832 - she was still living at Shelton Hall at the time of her death.|
|1849||William Bishop died whilst still living at the Hall.|
|1850's||The Hall had been let to Thomas Archer who was running it as a private school at the time of the 1851 census.|
|1860||Hanley cemetery was laid out over the southern part of the grounds.|
|1881||At the time of the 1881 census, Shelton Hall was unoccupied.|
|1900||Shelton Hall was occupied by the Stuart-Dix family.|
|1959||Shelton Hall was demolished.|
1900 OS map showing Shelton Hall
The front elevation of Shelton Hall facing
south over the Fowlea valley shortly before
demolition in 1959.