in 1890-91 to replace the original 1838-9 church which was
demolished because of subsidence.
tower was added in 1899.
by Charles Lynam.
The replacement church was
designated by Charles Lynam who also designed a number of building in
the Potteries including Stoke library, the Villas off London Road,
Minton Hollins works and the chapels in Hartshill cemetery.
It is built from red and
blue brick with ashlar dressings and slate roofs. The church has a west
tower, a nave with aisles and clerestory and chancel with south chapel
and north vestry.
The west tower is of 4
unequal stages with angle buttresses and a stair turret.
The main entrance is two
paired shouldered west doors in a single stone archway with low relief
figure of Christ in the tympanum (the semi-circular area over the
Inside there is a 6-bay arcade with
alternating octagonal and cylindrical shafts with foliate
A Queen post roof with traceried
panelling. Wide chancel arch carried on corbels, with niches to each
side; the chancel faced with stone. Carved reredos, wood screen and
pulpit. Stained glass windows in the north aisle added in 1902.
Inside the church memorial tablets
include one to William Baker (d. 1865), erected by his brother, the
Revd. R. B. Baker, and evidently removed from the original church. The
inscription states that William Baker 'built this church, vicarage
house, and infant school, gave the organ, and augmented the living'.