| Index of Churches and Chapels | Index of Hanley Churches |
Holy Trinity, Northwood
the view down Lower Mayer Street from St. John Street, Northwood
at the bottom is Trinity Wesleyan Methodist Church,
on the right is the spire of Holy Trinity Anglican Church
next: the interior of the church
Wellington Church Districts
have lately been formed out of Hanley. Northwood church (Trinity)
is at Upper Hanley, and was erected in 1848, in the early English style,
at the cost of £2700. The living is a perpetual curacy, valued at £150,
in the alternate patronage of the Crown and Bishop, and incumbency of
the Key. C. B. Jackson, M.A, "
From: William White's 'Directory of Staffordshire' - 1851
"Holy Trinity (Northwood): The ecclesiastical parish of Northwood was formed in 1845. The church, Holy Trinity, which was consecrated in 1849, is a handsome stone structure in the Early English style, consisting of a chancel, nave, aisles and low western tower, with spire; there are 530 sittings."
From: 'A descriptive account of The Potteries' - 1893
Hanley and Shelton lay within the parish of Stoke until the formation of new parishes in the area during the 19th century. A new parish covering the Northwood district was formed out of Stoke parish in 1845.
The church of HOLY TRINITY in Lower Mayer
Street was built in 1848–9 on land given by Charles Smith of Elmhurst
Hall near Lichfield.
The church, designed by J. Trubshaw, is built of stone in the Early English style and consists of an aisled nave, a chancel, and a north-west porch surmounted by a tower with a stone broach spire. Seriously damaged by fire in February 1949, it was then restored and reopened in 1950.
The vicarage house, formerly at the west end of Cardwell Street, was in the early 1960's moved to Cromer Road.
The following mission centres have been opened from Holy Trinity, Northwood:
From: 'Hanley: Churches', A History of the County of Stafford: Volume 8 (1963),
Holy Trinity, Northwood - the building...
this photo taken from Jervis Street,
behind the church are the terrace houses of Lower Mayer Street.
The church was built 1848-1849 by J. Trubshaw, it is a listed building and the listing details read....
Holy Trinity Anglican Church, Lower Mayer Street, Northwood
Trinity Methodist Church, Northwood
Listed building details for Holy Trinity Anglican Church
Index of Churches and Chapels
Index of Hanley Churches
Christian Heritage of Stoke-on-Trent