Parish of Wellington was formed out of the Parish of Stoke, by an order
in Council which bears the date of 8th August 1845.
The area of land known as Wellington was at this time mainly cornfields
stretching to Ivy House Road and the land on which the Church was built
was called Broomy Fields. Due to the efforts of the schoolmaster Edward
Young Haslam, George Henry Foundrinier of the local paper mill and the
Vicar of St Luke's this land was purchased for 8178.00.10d. The Church
was finally built through the generosity of well disposed persons and
grants from the Church of England for a sum of £2,075.
Wellington Church districts have lately been formed out of Hanley.
Wellington Church, St Luke, is to be built in 1851-2, near Well Street,
and the incumbent now performs divine service in a small temporary
church. The perpetual curacy is in the alternate patronage of the Crown
and Bishop, and incumbency of the Rev WH Wright, BA."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William
White, Sheffield, 1851)
The parish church of Wellington is St. Luke's, which was erected in
1854. It is an imposing structure in the Early English style, comprising
chancel, nave, north aisle, and north and west porch, the latter having
been added in 1878; there is also an incomplete tower. In 1847 an organ
chamber was built, and an organ introduced, the church at the same time
being reseated at a cost of £900. The church contains a handsome
stained glass window, erected in 1878 to the memory of Bishop Selwyn. In
1887 a new reredos was introduced. There are 800 sittings, 477 being
[from: A descriptive account of
The Potteries (illustrated) 1893 advertising and trade journal.]