of Churches and Chapels |
| Index of Hanley Churches |
Tabernacle Church, Hanley
Founded in 1784
rebuilt 1883 - closed 1964
Chapel, in High Street, called the Tabernacle,
High Street, Hanley
"The Congregationalists possess one of the finest groups of buildings in the town, known as the Tabernacle Church, to which are attached a lecture hall, schools, vestries, and class rooms. The buildings, which are situated in High Street, are in the perpendicular style of architecture, erected with red brick and stone. In the centre rises an embattled tower, with octagonal stair turret and pyramidal spire, attaining a total height of 100 feet. The lecture hall, which is a very spacious apartment, has a richly traceried window of seven lights. Below the chapel is a large hall, around which are placed the various school and class rooms, and a library."
A descriptive account of
The Potteries (illustrated), 1893 advertising and trade journal.
Erected in a "perpendicular style of architecture, ....with red brick and stone. In the centre rises an embattled tower, with octagonal stair turret and pyramidal spire, attaining a total height of 100 feet"
original registers are deposited at the Public Record Office (PRO)
questions/comments/contributions? email: Steve Birks