back to Stoke-on-Trent districts
of the Stoke-on-Trent &
previous: Abbey Hulton
The name Milton derives from the Old English, ‘mill tun’.
Staffordshire Past Track
1890 map of Milton
Milton was formerly a hamlet mainly situated in the parish on Norton in the Moors but with a small part in the township of Hulton Abbey.
the street names - Millers Lane, Millbrook Grove, Newmill Street are evidence of the presence of previous mills
to the left is the Caldon Canal and the River Trent - 1890
The building of the Caldon Canal through Milton in 1777 was important to the village’s later development.
on the left, alongside the canal and River Trent are mill ponds and a number of mills
of Milton, Stoke-on-Trent
Postcard of St. Philip and St. James, Milton
St. Philip and St. James - 1 Jan 2001
The Church of St. Philip and St. James was pened by licence from the Bishop on 13th August 1848 at a cost of £426 which was given, together with the land, by Lord Norton. In 1865 the church and burial ground were consecrated. In 1868 the church was enlarged.
Lord Norton was a philanthropist and a North Staffs M.P. who, in 1878, entered the House of Lords and became Baron Norton of Norton-le-Moors, Staffordshire.
built in 1880 as a Congregational Church
Milton Baptist Church on the corner of Millrise Road and Adams Street - March 2012
Congregationalism was also established early in Milton with a house being registered for worship in 1806. A Congregational chapel was built in 1819 and later replaced by a larger building in 1880 on the corner of Millrise Road and Adam Street. This was closed in 1922 as a Congregational Church.
The church was later used as a place of worship by the Baptists.
The Foxley Hotel alongside the Caldon Canal
The Millrace pub on Maunders Road
The Miners Arms pub on Millrise Road
Jackson Bros (Milton) Ltd. established 1910
'On Admiralty, War Office & Approved A.I.D. Lists'
Jackson Bros (Milton) Ltd. Aluminium & Bronze Founders
photo: May 1958
Builder and Contractor, Wheelwright, Milton
1907 Staffordshire Sentinel 'Business Reference Guide to The Potteries, Newcastle & District'
Bell tower, Bucknall Church
New Farm, Bucknall
Hardman Institute, Milton
Racing Stud Farms, Keele
Foxley Hotel, Milton
Extension of British Aluminium, Milton
Smallpox Hospital, Bagnall
The Rocklands, Milton
Villa Residences, Milton
Redhills from Foxley Lane
this 1909 adverts lists one of the works as 'Milton, Staffordshire'
in Redhills Road was the aluminium works of the British Aluminium Company
previous: Abbey Hulton