The New Chelsea China Co. Ltd., Longton
NOTE: This article which follows originally appeared in a 1956 book 'British Potters and Pottery Today', is based mainly upon accounts provided mainly by the firms themselves.
Just over fifty-five years ago two brothers, R. H. and S. L. Plant acquired the pottery known as Stanley Works at Longton, and thus founded the firm of Plant Brothers, now the New Chelsea China Company.
At first the new venture aimed at nothing more than the production of good quality, plainly banded domestic china. But with the advent of a new generation, important and far-reaching changes took place. Harold Plant, son of R. H. Plant became a power in the business. He was a young man of foresight who had gained his experience in all departments of production. He secured the services of Joshua Mellor, in his day a prominent artist and appointed him Art Director and Designer. The new era which thus dawned for the firm about 1912 was signalised by the change of name from Plant Brothers to New Chelsea.
Under this new regime fine bone china was produced, the technical knowledge of Harold Plant being seconded by the artistry of Mellor in the production of new shapes and designs which speedily became popular. The variety of wares was at the same time enlarged, tea, coffee and morning sets came from their kilns, which were made to sell at reasonable prices.
Upon Mellor's retirement he was succeeded by James Hodgkiss, another designer of standing, with the result that still further variety and interest was evinced in the wares produced. The designs of these two men still enjoy popularity.
Throughout, the firm has striven to live up to their motto of 'Only the Best' and, to secure this ideal, young operatives are constantly being trained in their extensive up-to-date factory.
NOTE: This article which originally appeared in a 1956 book 'British Potters and Pottery Today', is based mainly upon accounts provided mainly by the firms themselves.
questions / comments? email: Steve Birks