in Stoke-on-Trent and area
Milepost near Whieldon Road, Trent & Mersey Canal
Trent & Mersey Canal
10 February 1995
SJ 8811 4472,
near Whieldon Road, Trent &
Mersey Canal (West Side)
Canal milepost. Circa 1819. Cast iron painted
black and white.
“Shardlow 55 miles” “Preston Brook 37 miles”.
Canal Mile post near Whieldon
Canal milepost. Dated “R & D Stone 1819” on
shaft. Cast iron painted black and white. Circular post moulded
head and embossed letters on two convex tablets below. “Shardlow
55 miles” “Preston Brook 37 miles”.
Probably cast in the foundry of Rangeley and
Dixon in Lichfield Street, Stone*.
The Trent & Mersey Canal was built between 1766
and 1777 by James Brindley and Hugh Henshall.
Charles Hadfield, The Canals of the West
*Jean Lindsay, The Trent & Mersey Canal (1979)
Trent and Mersey Canal -
photos: Steve Birks
Workers Houses, Winton Square, Stoke
previous: 23 & 24 The Villas, Stoke