in Stoke-on-Trent and area
Church of Our Lady and
St Peter in Chains
15 March 1993
Church of our Lady and St
Peter in Chains
STOKE ON TRENT SJ8645
1857, BY CHARLES HANSOM, BUFF BRICK WITH RED
Church of our
Lady and St Peter in Chains
Roman Catholic Church. Circa 1910.
Yellow brick with red brick bands and Welsh slate
roof. Early Decorated style, with nave and south aisle, and
chancel. 2-storeyed porch in the SW corner of the aisle, 4-light
decorated west window over blank arcading.
South aisle of 5 bays with 3-light Decorated
windows and clerestory over. Below the church to the east, the
presbytery adjoins. Richly decorated interior with western
gallery carried on clustered shafts. Nave of 4 bays with
additional narrow western bay. Cylindrical shafts with foliate
capitals. Stilted trusses carried on pilasters sprung from
High chancel arch with rood and flanking statues.
Altar with reredos with statues of saints in niches. Painted
panelled ceiling. Stained glass in east window. Font with richly
carved octagonal panels and wood canopy. Painted oak stations of
Our Lady of the Angels (R.C.), Hartshill Road
(nw). Part of a convent.
By Charles Hansom, 1857. Yellow brick and red
brick stripes. Gothic, in the style of 1300. The church is large,
and broadly, even rudely, treated. No tower. Attached to the E end
is the present Presbytery. This and half the frontage belong to
The size of the convent was increased and a new
chancel built by A. E. Purdie in 1884-5. The frontage as it
now is still represents Hansom's style. It is wholly informal.
Buildings of England
next: Railings at
former Orthopaedic Hospital, Hartshill
previous: Hartshill Institute