Town Hall and shops. 1883 by Absolm M. Wood in
Neo-Renaissance style. Ashlar faced with plain tiled roofs with
Main range of 2 storeys and 5 bays, the central
bay advanced. Channelled ashlar to ground floor with shallow
arches over shop fronts (some altered), and central doorway with
paired console brackets carrying balcony over. Upper section
divided by brick pilasters, the windows have stone moulded
mullions and transoms with rounded arched heads.
Terracotta balustrading and frieze, stone
pediments over outer bays, with heavy console brackets. In the
entablature are inscribed: "Peace, Happiness, Truth, Justice AD
MDCCCLXXXV". Over the central bay, a raised double pediment, the
lower section raised on Mannerist urn-like pilasters, and cut by
a higher segmental pediment. Recessed outer sections of 2 bays
with paired lights in ashlar lower storey and oriel bay windows
over with foliate swags and steep pediments with Mannerist
Brick parapet eaves cornice with stone dressings.
Similar decorative detailing carried round return to Butterfield
Place. Interior has central single flight and two flight return
stone staircase with a 3-light boarded window. Central hall has
coved plaster ceiling hidden behind 20th Century flat false
ceiling and fluted pilasters with composite capitals, east and
west galleries with elaborate iron balustrades. Former courtroom
and council chamber retain their plaster ceilings and doorcases.
The building was formerly the Town Hall of
Tunstall, one of the six towns federated together in 1910 to
form the City of Stoke-on-Trent.