Built for the
Riley family in the early nineteenth century - the front porch
and side bay were added at a later date.
The ground floor
windows set into arched recesses echo John and Richard Riley's
Hill Works in nearby Westport Road.
see the Hill Works |
A former private house, later used as a Teachers'
Centre. Now occupied by School of Art, but originally built as
the home of a local pot master. 1832, with additions of c.1880.
Brick with stuccoed dressings and plain tiled roof.
3-storeyed, 3 bays, square in plan. Central bay
advanced, with doorway in projecting porch with heavy
entablature and fretted parapet. Round arched window over, in
Palladian flanking windows on ground and first
floors, the ground floor windows contained in arched recesses.
Diocletian windows in attic. Large projecting canted stuccoed
bay window parapet. Other windows are tripartite sashes. Moulded
eaves cornice, gable end stacks.
(The Buildings of England: N. Pevsner: