in Stoke-on-Trent and area
former Argyle Pottery Works,
19 April 1972
Broadhurst Brothers 'Argyle'
pottery works - former Bethel Methodist Church
STOKE ON TRENT SJ84NE
Dated 1824 Stucco, 3 stories with inscribed tablet.
Methodist Church, Burslem
photo: May 1988
Former Bethel Chapel dated 1824 but with
additions of 1875.
Brick with stuccoed dressings, and plain tiled
roofs. 5 bays, the outer advanced, with arcaded single storeyed
range linking them, and containing paired rounded arched
doorways and outer windows, with triglyph frieze and moulded
cornice over. Upper windows have semi-circular heads, and are
linked by continuous band forming hoodmoulds.
Pediment over central bays with inscription on
tablet "Bethesda Chapel, 1824". Additional blocks of 1875 to
left and right, with stuccoed pilasters and heavy parapet, and
central windows in full-height arched recess.
Side elevations of 3 storeys and 6 bays, the
outer bays stressed with pilasters. Sash windows with margin
lights in first storey, 2 panes elsewhere, all with flat arched
heads. Stuccoed cornice to parapet.
on the corner of Waterloo Road and Regent Street East (renamed in
the early 1950's to Zion Street).
in 1824 as the Bethel Methodist Church. This chapel with its five
bays and the bay pediment, was built at a time of religious fervor.
The wings provided space for schoolrooms and the preachers house.
Originally the facade, like the sides, was of brick; stucco was
added much later. The impressive galleried interior sat a thousand
worshipers, at a time when Burslem's entire population was not much
more than 12,000.
more on Bethel Methodist Chapel
previous: Camoys Terrace, Waterloo Road, Burslem