Church now disused.
1788-1790 with additions of 1872 by W. Palmer.
Brick with stone dressings and slate roof with ridge cresting.
West tower, nave and aisles, chancel. 4-stage tower with blind
lower openings and housing for clock above.
Bell chamber lights and castellated parapet, the castellations
made up of panels of cast iron, bolted together, and with the
bottom flanges and side end flanges bolted to supporting
Neo-classical North doorways in east and west of
north wall. 4 lower windows, and 6 in clerestory above, some
with contempory cast iron windows with intersecting tracery. The
frames incorporate horizontal bars of wrought iron to support
the fixings for leaded light. Square ended chancel with shallow
polygonal apse: with the vestries to the east of the aisles, a
INTERIOR: Most fittings and fixtures now
missing, but gallery with panelled fascia supported on slender
cast iron columns with plain capitals. Exposed roof trusses,
supported by massive tie beams, with later casings, and added
struts, and diagonally boarded panels to undersides of roof
East window with painted glass of c1830 depicting “Our Lord
Blessing”. The figure of Christ is clad in purple robes, and
standing beneath a Gothic canopy. Flanking windows also 1830.
Bell chamber with peal of 10 bells, the original peal of 8 bells
cast by E. Arnold of Leicester and installed in 1791,
supplemented by 2 additions in 1891, and all re-cast and re-hung
from a contemporary bell frame in 1923.
HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE: The building is
of exceptional interest because of the presence early cast-iron
structural and decorative components, notably the gallery
columns, the window frames and the castellations.
It is thought that these components are some of the earliest to
have been used in any type of building in Britain, only those in
St. James’, Liverpool having been identified as being earlier
- 1845 (c.)
Description: 'S. E. View of
Hanley Church,' showing a brick building of the
Gothic revival (1788) with a western tower.
John the Evangelist Church
photo taken through Weatherby's window
"One of the
saddest sights in the city of Stoke-on-Trent, and a monument to
the apathy and neglect of the city’s built heritage can be found
on Town Road in Hanley, and forms the gateway to our City
it was announced on 6th July
2008 that St. John's is to be restored
and converted into a restaurant