in Stoke-on-Trent and area
Three Bottle Kilns at Acme Marls
20 August 1979
Three Bottle Kilns
at Acme Marls Ltd
STOKE ON TRENT SJ8649NE
BOURNES BANK, Burslem
Only remaining downdraught
type of potters ovens.
3 bottle ovens at Acme Marls Ltd
Originally of c.1900, though present structures are 1937-1947.
Free standing circular hovels to downdraught ovens, the hovels
tapering evenly to moulded caps.
downdraught type of potters ovens.
At the bottom
of Bournes Bank the kilns of Acme Marls
Bournes Bank in
photo by Frederick
Woolley and supplied by Ken Macfarlane
runs from Queen Street at the top to Woodbank Street.
Old Church Street (Bournes
Bank) used to be the main route from Burslem town to St. Johns
Church, a more direct route was built in the form of New Church
Street. When the new street was built the one became Old Church
Street and later Bournes Bank.
Bournes Bank is the line of an ancient pathway - it was part of the
packhorse route from Hanley to Burslem.
Acme Marls were
founded in 1932 by J W A Lovatt, initially they processed the
clays (marl) - especially fire clay which local pottery firms
used to make saggars. Later the firm made the saggars and sold
the finished article to the potteries
2000 J&J Dyson acquired Acme Marls, the kiln equipment company, for
£1.9m, and consolidated its business onto the Acme Marls site in
Tunstall - this ment that the Burslem site was sold off for
The back of
Queen's Street, Burslem visible behind the kilns
The remains of
Bournes Bank behind the kilns - just prior to demolition
the bottle kilns of
Acme Marls at the bottom right of the picture - St. John's
church is on the opposite side of Baptist Street. The clearance
of the land behind Burslem town centre can be clearly seen.
Acme Marls and
St. John's church
the church is also a
MS Virtual Earth 2008
next: St. John the
previous: Bemersley Farm, Brindley Ford