| Index of all listed buildings |

 

The Sutherland Institute, Longton
The Sutherland Institute, Longton
pen drawing by Neville Malkin - November 1974

-click picture for more-

 


Listed Buildings in Stoke-on-Trent and area

Sutherland Institute, Longton


Area
Longton
Street
Lightwood Road
Heritage No.
91 A
Grade
II
Date Listed
15 March 1993
Building: Sutherland Institute and Library
Location: STOKE ON TRENT SJ94SW LIGHTWOOD ROAD, Longton
Description:  1898 by Wood and Hutchings. Brick enriched with terracotta and plain tiled roof.

Sutherland Institute, Longton
Sutherland Institute, Longton

Completed in 1898 on land donated by the Duke of Sutherland who lived at nearby Trentham Hall. The building is now one of Stoke on Trent's libraries and also houses the Hothouse Project to help fledgling businesses

photo: Phil Eptlett  Feb 2006

 


Formerly known as: Sutherland Institute and Library LIGHTWOOD ROAD Longton.

 Sutherland Institute and Library.

1898 by Wood and Hutchings. Brick enriched with terracotta and plain tiled roof. 3-storeyed, with advanced pedimented outer bays with 3 wood mullioned and transomed windows on each floor, with brick and terracotta arched heads on first floor, and long keystones which pierce the pediment to the attic. I

n the central section, paired windows each side of deep moulded terracotta arched doorway, with "Sutherland Institute and Free Library" inscribed in the spandrels of the arch.

Over the windows, a bass relief terracotta frieze illustrates scenes in the manufacture of pottery. Above this, wide windows with central round-arched lights, and three 6-light oriel bay windows to attic with terracotta aprons.

Moulded wood modillion eaves cornice, bellcote flanked by axial stacks. Large studio windows break through the eaves line in the side elevations.

 (The Buildings of England: Pevsner: Staffordshire).


Entrance to Sutherland Institute, Longton
Entrance to Sutherland Institute, Longton
Impressive entrance to the Sutherland Institute and Free Library

 

Panel above entrance to Sutherland Institute, Longton
Panel above entrance to Sutherland Institute, Longton

In the centre of the frieze an enthroned female figure sits with a cherubic figure seated at her feet. A group of workers kneel before her as they present her with the finished products of their labours.
Over the windows, a bass relief terracotta frieze illustrates scenes of the industries of Pottery, Mining, and Metal Processing.
The Institute was opened by the Duke of Sutherland on 28 October 1899, but at that time the space now occupied by the frieze remained empty. It was only in 1908 that funds became available for the addition of this piece.
 

photos: Steve Birks   Sept 2006


on the Libraries of Stoke-on-Trent


next: Bottle Oven at Warren Street, Longton
previous: Lightwood Chapel, Longton
 

| Index of all listed buildings |
| Tunstall | Burslem | Hanley | Stoke | Fenton | Longton | Other areas |