| Index of all listed buildings |


Listed Buildings in Stoke-on-Trent and area

Church of St. James, Longton


Area
Longton
Street
Uttoxeter Road
Heritage No.
96 A
Grade
II
Date Listed
04 March 1992
Building: Church of St. James the Less
Location: STOKE ON TRENT SJ94SW UTTOXETER ROAD, Longton
Description:  Church. 1833-4, a Commissioners Church designed by J Trubshaw, Sandstone ashlar faced.

The church of St. James-the-Less
The church of St. James-the-Less
photo: 2004 - Eileen Hallam


Church. 1833-1834,

a Commissioners Church designed by J.Trubshaw. Sandstone ashlar faced. West tower, nave with two aisles, chancel. 3-stage tower with simple hood mould over west door and Perpendicular style window above, with clock over, and paired pinnacles.

Traceried panels to embattled parapet. Decorated style windows to aisles, which are divided into 6 bays by buttresses forming pinnacles, and which have embattled parapet above.

Apsidal chancel with Perpendicular style 2-tier windows with hoodmoulds carried on corbel heads. Interior not inspected but said to include east window by Cappronier, 1874, and a monument by Baailey of 1843. 

(The Victoria History of the Counties of England: Pugh RB: Staffordshire: Oxford: 1963-).


"St. James the Less, Uttoxeter Road (SE). 1832-4 by T. Johnson (sic). A large Commissioner's church which cost over 1,000. W tower, chancel and nave in one, six bays, clerestory. Short chancel and polygonal apse. -  stained glass. The E window by Capronnier, 1874. - monument. John Cary 1842. By Baily. The usual kneeling mourning female by an urn, but unusually well done."

Pevsner: The Buildings of England


The church of St. James-the-Less
showing the close proximity of the bottle kilns
photo: c.1950's - Lovatt Collection

 

on St. James church

 


next: Gladstone Works, Uttoxeter Road, Longton
previous: Bottle Oven, Uttoxeter Road, Longton
 

| Index of all listed buildings |
| Tunstall | Burslem | Hanley | Stoke | Fenton | Longton | Other areas |