Listed Buildings around Stoke-on-Trent
In Fulford Parish adjacent to the A520 this preserved brick tower can now be found in the car park of the Windmill Inn.
This windmill was said to have been built by Richard Ash Broster who lived to the age of 110, and worked the windmill at Blythe Marsh.
However, Broster was born in 1771 and a mill is shown on Yates' map of 1775 either casting doubt on the suggestion or more probably indicating a rebuilt mill on an old site. The mill has always been associated with a public house, this was not uncommon, the miller tending the mill whilst his wife served the beer, but it was not the present Windmill Inn that they owned but the 'Dusty Miller' which is now a butcher's shop. I
In 1824 Mr. Emery, the miller, was advertising a new burr stone of 'superior size and quality'. The following year a list of signatures in support of the local banks records Thomas Broster at the mill. Two years later he advertised 'that capital windmill in good repair with kiln, new built house, garden and stables'.
In 1837 a Mr. Walker was looking for a 'steady active single man as a miller'.
In 1848 it was advertised with 'two pairs of French stones, one pair of neal stones and one pair of shelling stones and dressing machine'.
Thomas Stredder took over the mill in 1851. He is again listed as miller and beerhouse keeper in 1854 with S. Foxley also in 1854, Thomas Hacknell in 1861 and john Hall from 1868 to 1880.
Thomas 'Pussy' Prince worked the mill from at least 188 until 1896 when his eyesight failed.
The mill probably went out of use soon after when Frank Elaby, who also operated a threshing set, took it over.
Altons' Brewery of Derby had acquired the windmill and the 'Dusty Miller' whilst Joules' Brewer of Stone had bought the 'Windmill Inn' in 1898. Altons sold the mill to the Staffordshire Potteries Water Works in 1908 who installed a water tank within the tower for local distribution. The 'Dusty Miller' was sold by Altons in 1914 and it proberly closed as a beerhouse at this time.
By 1928 the mill's use as a water tower was over and it was bought by Joules Brewery. When painted by Karl Wood in April 1929 ot still retailed its cap and the remnants of two sails. These were removed by the Home Guard who added a watch tower for the war. this was taken off in the 1960's and the tower now carries an aerial mast for radio communications.
The three story brick tower rises to about 35 feet. There are opposite doorways on the ground floor and two of the three windows have been altered from rectangular to circular. The second floor also has a door although this is probably a later alteration.
Photographs showing the mill in the 1890s reveal a boat-shaped cap, a balcony at the rear and a braced tail pole. Only two of the common sails are in position. The mill undoubtedly worked like this but it does indicate severe deterioration and the reason given for its ceasing to work was that the machinery was completely worn out. Interestingly the strengthening bands which are now a distinctive feature around the tower are not evident in the early photographs and may have been added when the additional weight of the water tank was in place.
photo taken August 2000
This photograph shows a boat-shaped cap, a balcony at the rear
and a braced tail pole. Only two of the four common sails are
1900 - 1902
The Windmill Inn and remains of the mill can be seen in the background.
Staffordshire Arts & Museum Service
Donor Ref: ' Borough Museum No., Ref/Sta/3/P64, img: 2824 (18/3197)'
1900 - 1940
Street scene with a view of the Windmill
Inn public house.
Taken at Hilderstone Road, Meir Heath, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire.
Potteries Museum & Art Gallery
Donor Ref: ' (40/10472)'
Listed Buildings Index