|Stoke-on-Trent Local History|
development of the pottery villages during the late 16th and the 17th
(Making of the Six Towns - p.23)
scattered clusters of dwellings began to look more like villages or even small
towns. By 1700 there were about 70 houses in Burslem, along with a number of
potbanks, but apart from Burslem, the only other places with the appearance of
villages were Penkhull and Hanley.
settlement was located around its green, where the church now stands. Hanley
originally consisted of the two small hamlets half a mile apart, on at the
junction of Town Road and Keelings Road, the other centred on the modern market
and called Hanley Green. The church was not built until the middle of the 18th
C. The modern town incorporates the old village of Shelton, which was
extensively developed on its northern boundary in the early 19th C.,
seen in the geometric layout of streets west of Stafford / Lichfield Streets.
only existed as a string of cottages along a cart track, though in the 16th
C. it had six open fields of nearly 100 acres. Fenton was a line of cottages
along the main road (Lane Delph) and two small centres a mile apart, Great and
Little Fenton. Longton consisted of Lane End along the road and a second cluster
of houses towards Blurton. There were other linear settlements by the end of the
18th C., at Hot Lane, Sneyd Green, Cobridge, Shelton and Goldenhill,
as well as small villages like Bucknall, Blurton, Hanford, Milton and Norton.
than the original villages expanding outwards in all directions a new kind of
settlement pattern closely tied to the primitive roads through the area was
establishing itself. Some examples of the type of cottages being built still
survive (2000) as in Broad Street, Hanley and Newcastle Street, Longport.
Previous: The meaning of place names
Next: Local Government; Parishes, Manor Courts, Poor Law
questions / comments / contributions? email: Steve Birks