Barlston - Stoke-on-Trent
|The resources and transcripts on this page are from GenUKI - the leading Internet genealogical resource in the UK|
From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851
"Barlaston, a well-built village, with a railway station, is delightfully seated near the summit of a lofty declivity, on the east side of the vale of the Trent, and three miles N of Stone, and five miles SE by S of Newcastle. Its parish contains 591 inhabitants and 2087 acres of enclosed land, with 60 acres of waste. RT Adderley, Esq, is owner of a great part of the soil, and lord of the manor, which his father obtained in marriage with one of the co-heiresses of the late Thomas Mills, Esq. His residence is Barlaston Hall, a handsome mansion near the north end of the village, commanding an extensive view of Trent Vale.
The population of Barlaston parish was as follows:
1831 -- 514
1841 -- 591
The parish became part of Stone Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.
Church of England History
"Barlaston Church, dedicated to St John the Baptist, stands near the hall, and is a small Gothic structure. It was rebuilt, except the tower, in 1760, and enlarged on the north side in 1830, when a new gallery was erected. The Duke of Sutherland is patron of the perpetual curacy, in the incumbency of the Rev Wm. Oliver."
Church of England Records
The parish register of the parish church of St John the Baptist commences in 1551 for Burials and 1573 for Baptisms & Marriages. The original registers for the period 1575-1933, and Banns for the period 1823-1921 are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office. The earlier period is missing but some transcripts survive.
Bishops Transcripts, 1674-1868 (with gaps 1762-66, 1700-73 & Marr 1860-68) are deposited at Lichfield Joint Record Office.
A transcript of the registers covering Baptisms & Marriages 1573-1812 and Burials 1551-1812 was published by the Staffordshire Parish Register Society and has been reprinted by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
'Barlaston: A History'
by Michael Washington.
Published 1966, by Dept of Extramural Studies, University of Keele.
'Stone, Sandon & Barlaston, a portrait in old picture postcards'
by Jane, Joy, & Tony Priestley.
Published 1988, by Brampton, Loggerheads.
[The history of the City of Stoke-on-Trent]
Questions and comments to: Steve Birks: email@example.com