| Districts | Streets | Maps

Stoke-on-Trent Districts: Adderley Green

Adderley Green,  Longton, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire.

Adderley Green is included in the township of Longton - the northerly 'branch' of land from Longton is just about ½ a mile wide and ran for a mile on both sides of the road to Adderley Green and Caverswall.

"Weston-Coyney and Hulme are two neighbouring hamlets forming a manor, one mile W of Caverswall, and including the hamlets of Adderley and Werrington, the latter of which is on the Cheadle road, four miles east of Hanley. In the manor are three gentlemen's seats, viz, Weston-Coyney Hall, the seat of Chas. Coyney, Esq, Adderley House, the residence of Mrs Walklate, and Park Hall, the seat of Thos. Hawe Parker, Esq."
From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851

Adderley Green was incorporated in the county borough of Stoke-on-Trent during the extension of the boundaries in 1922.


Adderley Green on a 1895 OS map


The road from Longton to Adderley Green originally followed Wood Street. Under an Act of Parliament in 1813 Anchor Road was built as a turnpike road, it was disturnpiked in 1877 and declared a main road.

Anchor Road, Adderley Green

An old postcard - looking towards Dividy and Park Hall Road.
On the extreme left is the 'Railway Inn' (now the 'Corner Pin') - the road cutting across Anchor Road is Bambury Street to the left and Short Banbury Street to the right.

The 'Railway Inn' was so named because of the 'Longton Adderley Green & Bucknall Railway' line which ran across Anchor Road. (see this on 1890 OS map)

more on Anchor Road


Extract from William Yates 1775 Map of Staffordshire showing Adderley Green
- click map for larger area of map -


Potworks: the Adderley Green works were purpose built by Richards Tiles Ltd around 1958. The works were demolished in the late 1990's and in 2000 a housing estate had been built on the site.

The lodge & entrance to the new Richards Adderley Green works 

more on the  Adderley Green works 


The mines in the area c.1840 jus to the east of the Longton boundary with Adderley Green and Weston Coyney, included shafts at least 320 yards deep, 'much deeper than the pits in general in the more northerly part of the borough'.

Both Mossfields Colliery and Adderley Green Colliery were situated in Adderley Green. 

March 28th 1963 The National Coal Board disclosed plans for the closure of Mossfield colliery, one of the oldest in North Staffordshire, in 1963.

Mossfield colliery


Adderley Green Colliery - 1925

Thomas Pye [ born c.1775 died 1855] started work as a collier, but by 1851 was a partner in the business Messrs Stirrup & Pye, Chapel Street, Longton.
Stirrup & Pye were coal masters and merchants. They owned Adderley Green Colliery (White’s Directory, 1851).

July 1860:
"A most lamentable accident occurred on Tuesday morning at the Adderley Green Colliery near Longton North Staffs belonging to Stirrup and Pye, which occasioned the almost instantaneous death of five of the unfortunate workmen. The names of the deceased are: William Hulme, age 40 yrs of Wood's Lane Longton, Jesse Hurst, age 45 yrs, of Adderly Green. William Taylor, age 14 yrs of Sutherland Rd. Longton, Danial Salmon, age 35 yrs East Vale Longton, Enoch Wooley, age 18 yrs of the same place."

more on Adderley Green Colliery


Wesleyan Methodist:  in 1862 a Wesleyan Sunday school and chapel were built at Adderley Green. In 1925 a new chapel was built in Mossfield road, which seated 200. It was still in use in 1957.


Adderley Green County Junior and Infants School:  Built in Anchor road in 1884 by Caverswall School Board. It was extended in 1893.

View of Adderley Green Schools just off Anchor Road, Adderley Green
1900 - 1940 (c.).
photo: Mr Blake, William

© Staffordshire PastTrack


more on Adderley Green


questions / comments / contributions? email: Steve Birks

3 January 2006