The site was purchased for £750 by
public subscription and vested in the old Newcastle Corporation in
1897, the year of Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee.
Originally Queens Park - the
commemorates this event, although it was not until 1899 that the
Gardens were laid out. They were originally enclosed by a brick wall
and railings and formed an attractive frontispiece to the Municipal
Hall, which stood on the site of the present Library.
By 1935 the wall and railings had
been removed and the Gardens opened directly onto the Ironmarket.
The current pillars and ornamental chains were installed at this
19 February 1927 - a re-union of the 1st and
5th North Staffordshire Regiment (Prince of Wales's) pictured in
Queens Park (later named Queens Gardens).
Many of these men had fought in France during the First World War.
on this early photo
it can be seen that the Queens Park was simply a grassed are with a
few young trees - it was later that it was laid out as a flower
a postcard of the
Queens Gardens c.1970
showing the current pillars
and ornamental chains
An afternoon's entertainment is pictured here
in the Queen's Gardens. The band in the bandstand is that of the
Museum and Art Gallery, Newcastle under Lyme
The original Bandstand
and associated buildings which had fallen into a state of disrepair
were demolished in 2002 and replaced with a new Bandstand and