| North Staffs Hospitals
   Hospitals in North Staffordshire


[ Web Site Index ]


The three hospitals in the history of the North Staffordshire Infirmary:

The first 'House of Recovery' was opened, in Etruria, to the public in 1804. It was quickly replaced by a larger Infirmary in 1819 (again in Etruria). Due to subsidence this building was in danger and plans were made for a new hospital in Hartshill. The foundation stone of the new building was laid on 25th June, 1866, by H.R.H. The Prince of Wales, and the hospital was formally opened by the duchess of Sutherland, 16th December 1869.

Index pages for each of the hospitals:-

1804 the 'House of Recovery' - Etruria
1819 the second hospital - Etruria
1869 the 'new' Infirmary - Hartshill


part of thepotteries.org
the local history Internet Site of Stoke-on-Trent

email: Steve Birks