This photograph shows old terraced
housing in John Street, Longton. The John Street area was set back
from the Longton High Street (Uttoxeter Road). Notice how close the
housing is to the pot banks - the factories where the pottery ware
was made and fired.
The housing was amongst the worst
in Stoke-on-Trent and was demolished in 1935. The fire Station now
stands on this location.
| "In the
Edensor district, in John Street, in Locketts Lane, and in the
area round St. James's Church conditions in the later 19th
century were probably as bad as anywhere in the Potteries. Even
after the Second World War a square of thirteen houses at the
junction of Normacot Road and Chelson Street was served by only
one tap and one water-closet."
A History of
the County of Stafford: Volume 8 (1963)