Stoke-on-Trent - photo of the week


contents: 2008 photos


click for
previous
photos

Royal Doulton - Nile Street Factory, Burslem

Royal Doulton - Nile Street Factory, Burslem
photo: Steve Birks - July 2008

This door is an old entrance - it was in 1901 that the Burslem factory
was granted the Royal Warrant by the new King, Edward VII.
It was this that enabled the business to adopt the name Royal Doulton.

 

Royal Doulton - Factory shop, Burslem

photo: Steve Birks - July 2008



The main Doulton works on the corner of Nile Street, and Zion Street
The main Doulton works on the corner of Nile Street, and Zion Street

photo: Brian Deegan - Oct 2007
 

The original pottery works in Nile Street
The original pottery works in Nile Street

photo: Steve Birks - July 2008

In 1877/8 Doulton purchased a small factory from Pinder, Bourne and Co at Nile Street in Burslem, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, bringing Doulton right to the heart of "The Potteries". Doulton became increasingly popular, thanks in large part to the artistic direction of John Slater, who worked across a wide variety of figurines, vases, character jugs, and decorative pieces. The works continued to be called "Pinder, Bourne & Co" until early 1882 when it became "Doulton & Co. Ltd."


Demolition crews work on the Doulton main factory building
Demolition crews work on the Doulton main factory building

photo: The Sentinel newspaper - Oct 2008

"DEMOLITION crews have begun work on the former Royal Doulton factory in Burslem.The Nile Street factory is being demolished by developers St Modwen as part of a 10 million re-development of the site, which will include a 70,000 sq ft enterprise centre and 140 homes. The landmark building opened in 1877 when Royal Doulton moved its operations from Lambeth in London. In 2004, the company announced that it was to cease mainstream production at Nile Street, with the loss of 525 jobs. The factory closed a year later when the loss-making company was taken over by arch rival Waterford Wedgwood"

Sentinel Newspaper  10 October 2008