Stoke-on-Trent - photo of the week
Art Deco Style Logo of the North West Midlands Joint Electricity Authority
the gates of the N.W.M.J.E.A. on Victoria Road, Fenton, Stoke-on-Trent
This substation belonging to the North West Midlands Joint Electricity Authority was built in 1937.
|Hanley power station was
located next to Hanley Park on Ridgeway Road - it supplied the town with
all its power from 1894. After the Federation in 1910 power was also
supplied to Newcastle.
Much of this load was taken off Hanley power station after construction of Meaford power station in the 1930ís, when it was linked to supply power to the National Grid.
In 1919, the UK government was planning the reconstruction of the nation's industries after the First World War. The Board of Trade set up the Electric Power Supply Committee, chaired by Sir Archibald Williamson, which proposed the effective nationalisation of the industry.
The electrical power industry in the United Kingdom was nationalised by the Electricity Act 1947, when over 600 electric power companies were merged into twelve Area Boards.
The Midlands Electricity Board (MEB) took over the Stoke-on-Trent County Borough Corporation supply and the North West Midlands Joint Electricity Authority.
Companies that the NWMJEA supplied with electricity included Berry Hill Collieries in Stoke-on-Trent and the New Haden Colliery engineering shops and New Haden brickworks at Cheadle
The Art Deco style is continued on the gate posts
|Pictured in 1939 is Harry
Skerratt, who worked for the North West Midlands Joint Electricity
Authority during the Second World War. As an electrical engineer, his was
an essential occupation during the war.
He covered a large area, between Hixon aerodrome and Tern Hill in Shropshire, ensuring overhead cables were maintained.
© Staffordshire Past Tracks
North West Midlands Joint Electricity Authority sub station on Victoria Road
1937 date stone