Britannia Stadium marker on the Trent and Mersey canal
with a crowd capacity for over 28,000 fans is the home of Stoke City
Football Club. It was officially opened in 30th August 1997.
The Club originated in
the 1860's when Henry John Almond, and old Carthusian, formed a team
called the Stoke Ramblers, to play against other apprentices at
North Staffordshire Railway Works. The name Stoke Football Club was
subsequently adopted in 1870. When the team merged with Stoke
Victoria Athletics Club in 1978, they moved from playing at
Sweeting's Field Ground, to the Victoria Ground on Boothen Road,
Stoke. The name was taken from the nearby Victoria Hotel. This
ground remained their home for 118 years, achieving a British
records for a League Club located at one ground.
Stoke F.C. turned
professional in 1885 and were one of twelve founder members of the
Football League in 1888, being second oldest after Nottingham
County. When Stoke-on-Trent was granted city status in 1925, they
became officially known as the Stoke City Football Club.