Stoke-on-Trent - photo of the week
The arms of Longton Town on the cemetery gates
"Great Industria" -
"Let Industry be made"
On the left of the shield
a potter and on the right a miner.
It was in 1865 that Longton and Lane End were incorporated as the borough of Longton. The Charter of Incorporation was granted on April 3rd 1865 with James Glover as the first Mayor.
Description of the Longton Arms:
The shield contains elements taken from the arms of four families:
Sir John Edensor Heathcote
was a local industrialist and owner of Longton Hall. He was High Sheriff
of Staffordshire in 1784.
The crest is an eagle displayed in silver taken from the arms of James Glover - the first Mayor. Glover owned a brewery and a colliery.
On the left side is a potter holding a vase and on the right side a miner holding a pickaxe.